CAUSETTE.

Some Considerations on the Changes at Memorial.

Everybody will hail with satisfaction the introduction of toothpicks at Memorial as a part of the regular bill of fare. At a recent meeting of the board of directors this question was thoroughly discussed, and in accordance with the frequent suggestions of the college papers, it was determined to make the change. It is to be hoped that by this concession all further complaints as to the quality of the board and service will be obviated. Since the Advocate's attacks upon the hall the number of boarders has so largely increased that the management have felt warranted in undertaking the financial outlay involved in this innovation.

Wooden toothpicks, it is well known, are an excellent tonic, and serve very readily as a satisfactory substitute for unappetizing soups or meats. The medical "faculty" generally endorse them ; although some, it is true, assert that quills are superior. Indeed, it is to be regretted that the directors do not see their way to the introduction of quill toothpicks as a supplementary or alternative course on the regular bill of fare for wooden ones. Perhaps they will, however, consent to place quill toothpicks upon the order list. I earnestly urge this suggestion upon them.

In connection with this subject I would like to call attention to the work done in the matter of forestry preservation by Prof. C. S. Sargent of Harvard. Having had charge of the department of forestry statistics in the last census, Prof. Sargent has had unequalled opportunities for the study of this subject in connection with his work in preparing and issuing his valuable "Forestry Bulletins." In that work he advances several reasons to explain the rapid disappearance of the pine forests of this country. At no time, however, has he, I believe, ever considered the explanation suggested by our subject - the alarming growth and extent of the use of wooden toothpicks in this country, requiring for their manufacture, as they do, so large a consumption of native timber. Prof. Sargent's statistics themselves show how forcible a reason this is. Perhaps patriotic considerations and a desire to discountenance the wasteful destruction of our forests, apart from other considerations, may induce the directors at Memorial to introduce quill instead of wooden toothpicks to the tables at the hall.

CHAS. CAUSEUS.