Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line


At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions


Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists


‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam


‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6


Harvard, 1 Goal and 1 Touchdown; Princeton, 1 Goal.


Harvard's second championship game was played with Princeton on Holmes field Saturday, and resulted in a victory for the crimson.

The unexpected fall of snow Friday put the field in a very bad condition; but the energy of the managers of the association, with the help of a large number of students who volunteered their assistance, greatly changed its aspect before the hour of the game. The snow was entirely removed, and except for a little mud and water the ground was in first-rate condition, and the only effect of the weather was to reduce the number of spectators. Play was called about quarter past two, Harvard kicking off, having lost the toss. Princeton started off with a very sharp offensive game, but was more than checked, for in ten minutes Wesselhoeft took the ball from Mason's kick and by a pretty run carried it over Princeton's line. The referee, however, decided no touchdown, as one of the Harvard men was "off side." Immediately Princeton got the ball, and taking advantage of the wind managed to kick it almost to our goal line. In the excitement our half-back, Coolidge, fumbled the ball, and Haxall securing it slid over the line and scored a touchdown for Princeton. The touchdown was too far from the poles to be brought out so a "punt out" was substituted, Peace receiving the ball and holding out for Haxall, who easily scored a goal. For the rest of the first three quarters the contest was intensely exciting, Princeton's kicking and Harvard's tackling and running keeping the ball in the very centre of the field. Eight minutes from the close the Princeton half-back kicked the ball almost streight up, and Mason, darting forward on the full run, took the ball in the midst of the crowd of Princeton rushers before it reached the ground and started down the field. Man after man was out-run and out-dodged until the ball was carried over the line, and a touchdown scored for Harvard, bringing out cheer upon cheer from the benches. The ball was punted out but was caught too far from the poles and Keith missed the goal. In the second three-quarters Harvard played magnificently, Kendall, Cabot and Ayers doing splendid tackling, while Wesselhoeft gained ground every time he touched the ball. The Princeton men felt the strain and devoted themselves entirely to the defense. Captain Peace undertook the "block game," so characteristic of Princeton, and with wonderful coolness and tact held the ball nearly thirty minutes, touching back repeatedly, to the lively disgust of the spectators. His game was a strong one, however, and nothing but the pluck of the Harvard men saved them from defeat. Their tackling was perfect, and the activity showed by the rushers in getting down on the ball called for much applause from the crowd. Things were looking rather dubious for Harvard, but the team did not relax in the slightest, and when Peace made his only slip-up, just eight minutes before the close, Ayers threw himself on the ball and secured it for Harvard. Both sides lined out, and Kendall receiving the ball from the quarter-back carried it directly in front of the poles. Appleton snapped the ball to Hammond who carried it forward five or six feet, where Harvard made a solid block with ten of her men, leaving only the quarter-back behind the line. The ball was then passed back to Mason, and as the thousand spectators held their breath he sent it flying over the bar, thereby winning the game, just four minutes before time was up. Then the pent-up enthusiasm of the crowd burst forth, and cheer on cheer went up, making the wildest confusion until time was called and the game decided; then they rushed bodily into the field, bearing off the victors on their shoulders. The referee immediately decided the game belonged to Harvard, although the Princeton captain claimed that their goal was from a place kick and that the touchdown counted, making the score equal. But the rules say that from a touchdown a goal can be kicked in two ways: either the ball can be brought in and placed, or it can be punted in and placed. Further, it is stated that in case the goal is kicked the touchdown shall not count. Moreover, the referee's decision is final, given as it was with a proper explanation.

Mr. Houston, '79, acted as umpire for Harvard, and Mr. Look for Princeton. Mr. Watson of Yale was referee. Princeton missed the services of one of their half-backs, Mr. Harlan, but it was in the rush that they were weakest, not in the backs. The teams were as follows: Harvard - Rushers, Appleton. Cabot (capt.), Kendall, Morison, Hammond, Ayers and Wesselhoeft; quarter-back, Mason; half-backs, Keith, Coolidge; back, Edmands. Princeton - Rushers, Belknap, Haxall, Flemming, Bird, Peace (capt.), Riggs; quarter-back, Morgan; half-backs, Baker, '83, and Baker, '85; three-quarter-back, Moffat; back, Toler.

W. C. Camp of Yale was present at the game making observations. He will probably be unable to play against Harvard next Saturday. Camp has played on the Yale team for nearly a decade now, and it will be rather a novelty to play without him.

Harvard's weakest point, kicking, is Princeton's strongest.

Mason and Peace did the best playing on their respective sides.

The Yale race, the Princeton game, and now for Saturday's game!

The Clipper was a good prophet. Harvard's chances are decidedly good for the championship.

On account of the recent death of a sister, Harlan, '83, was unable to play with Princeton Saturday.

Peace's playing the "block" game in the second half, was unfavorably commented upon by Princeton men.

The playing of Princeton's captain was greatly admired on all sides. She would be invincible if each man were a Peace.

Yale easily defeated Columbia Saturday by a score of eleven goals and five touchdowns to three safeties for Columbia. Columbia played almost entirely a defensive game. The score is, with one exception, the largest that Yale has made, that exception being the Yale-Columbia game of 1881, when the score was thirteen goals and several touchdowns for Yale to nothing for Columbia. Columbia's two best players, Morgan and Henry, were absent. The Yale team was minus Camp, and it is thought that his loss will be a permanent one.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.