A COLLEGE DEMORALIZED.

The seniors and juniors at Hobart College, N. Y., have left in a body; all owing to "faculty interference." "It seems," says the Rochester Herald of last Saturday, "that a short time since a ball nine from Cornell University played a game with the Hobart freshman nine, in which the former nine were ingloriously vanquished. It was subsequently discovered by the Cornellites that the Hobart men had engaged some outside talent, and to this the Cornell nine attributed their defeat. Trouble ensued, the Cornellites claiming that they were not honestly beaten, and charging the Hobart nine with unfairness, and the latter asserting that it was not an unusual thing to engage ball-players not connected with the college. The Hobart faculty interfered and sided with the Cornell nine. They advised the freshmen to acknowledge their unfairness and try it again on a square basis. The victorious freshmen demurred, and a few days since the faculty called a meeting of the class to urge them to come to a settlement with the Cornell men according to the latter's terms. The seniors and juniors, wishing to be identified in some way with the trouble, concluded to interfere with this meeting, and accordingly proceeded to the meeting armed with tin horns and various other noisy instruments and disturbed the peace of the deliberating professors and freshmen with an incessant hulla-ballo. The professors sallied forth and captured a few of the serenaders. The offense was thought a sufficient cause for suspension, and two of the unfortunate upper classmen were invited to take a vacation. Their fellows thought this unfair, and appealed to the faculty, saying that they were also engaged in the disturbance. The faculty stood by their decision, and refused to reinstate the suspended students. To sustain their honor, as they claim, and to bring the faculty to terms, the entire senior and junior classes concluded to leave college, which resolution was carried into effect yesterday. It is uncertain what the result will be, though it is thought a settlement will soon be reached and the absentees return.