THE FRESHMAN CREW.

Progress Made and Present Condition.

As the freshman crew has nearly finished the first three months of its training, a few notes of its progress may be of interest to our readers. During the past three weeks, under the efficient instruction of Col. Bancroft, the eights have made a marked improvement, the men showing a great willingness to work and considerable aptitude in learning the stroke. Throughout the boat the time is good and the swing fair, but the men seem to have considerable difficulty in managing both shoulders and arms. The following are the names and weights of the men as they rowed last Friday. As there are three extra men over the required eight, six men are compelled to alternate at two, three and five in the second eight:

FIRST EIGHT.

Bow, Upham 138 1/2

2 Rathburn 156

3 Ayer 153

4 Parsons 145 1/2

5 Barnes 172

6 Borland (capt.) 174

7 Hamlin 176

Strke, Harris 156

---

Average 159

SECOND EIGHT.

Bow, Fish 146

2 Delafield 151

Babcock 165

3 Scott 182

Guild 143

4 Haughton 182

5 Lincoln 151

Harrison 150

6 Latham 142 1/2

7 Hartley 165

Strke, Cabot 162

---

Average 158

The following are a few individual criticisms: In the first eight, stroke pulls evenly with a decisive catch, but has a few faults which careful attention and practice alone can remedy; he does not reach quite far enough, rows with bent arms and with his left shoulder elevated, and does not swing out freely from his hips as he ought.

No. 7, although he has never before taken much exercise, and consequently is not yet hardened, seems to possess the right sort of material for a good oar. At present he is sometimes a little behind on the catch, swings too far both forward and back, and rows with bent arms and elevated right shoulder.

No. 6 has made excellent progress, but is inclined to catch too easily, and does not keep his back straight enough. On the whole, however, he has a very good style, and with a little more firmness would show about the best form in the crew.

No. 5 has also made good progress in the past few weeks, but there is yet room for improvement. His arms and shoulders, in particular, need attention, the former being somewhat bent and the latter being carried too high. He also swings out of line, and does not get his back on the stroke with snap enough.

No. 4 has a steady stroke, even swing and good time, but falls into some of the minor faults of the others as regards his back, shoulders and arms; he is one of the lightest men in the crew, but seems to have strength and endurance.

No. 3 makes too hard work of the stroke, rowing in a somewhat jerky style; he shows, however, a willingness to work, pulling with a good, strong snap. A little more easiness and evenness will make a decided improvement in his rowing.

No. 2 rows short and does not pull his hands in high enough. His back and shoulder work is fair, while as a general thing his arms are kept straight and rigid.

Bow rows in a good and easy form, but hardly puts life enough into his stroke; he is also inclined to lower his hands after pulling them in and often catches before number two. The general appearance of his style, however, is one of the best in the boat, as he carries his body and shoulders well erect and with uniform motion.

As most of the second eight have but recently commenced to row, we naturally do not expect to find as good form as in the first.

Stroke is apt to let his slide go when he catches, does not get his back on with enough snap, and drops his hands at the finish.

No. 7 breaks his arms too soon and rows with crooked back. Both stroke and No. 7, however, show excellent form, considering the time that they have been in training.

No. 6 hangs at both finish and catch, hurries the recover and catches too easily; his back and shoulders are carried well and his time is fair.

Lincoln, at No. 5, settles at finish, twists his body, hangs, and is apt to row a very disjointed stroke, while Harrison rows stiffly with a short reach, bending his arms too soon. Both men, however, are light, with considerable strength, and can undoubtedly be put into good form.

No. 4 is a new man, and consequently has not made so much progress as some of the others. He has a long reach, which will serve him well when he learns how to use it. At present he does not arch his inside wrist, shoots upward, and generally uses his hands in a loose manner.

At No. 3, Scott is a heavy, muscular man, and rows in fair form. Guild swings back too far, shoots his arms and recovers at the same time, and rows with crooked arms.

At No. 2, Delafield carries his shoulders in good style, and in general keeps his back straight; his arms, however, are apt to bend before the time, while he is rather slow on the shoot and sluggish on the catch. Babcock rows rather spasmodically, hanging at both finish and catch. He breaks his arms too soon and swings out at the finish.

Bow swings back too far, jerks at the finish and keeps poor time. He also rows with crooked arms and does not put life enough into the stroke.

The tendency is general throughout this eight to hang at both catch and finish, and the time is very poor at certain places. Much better form may be expected when the men get well together; as it is now, the want of uniformity has a marked effect on the other points.

M.