THE MARKING SYSTEM.

Although there are many objectionable features about the present system of assigning marks at Harvard, such a vast improvement has been made over the system which formerly prevailed that we ought to congratulate ourselves upon living under the present regime. The earliest method about which we have any definite knowledge was to have marks assigned for every recitation, and at the end of the month a report was made out from these marks. Absence from recitations and absence from prayers were made to count against the delinquent. Then at the end of the year the classes reviewed the work of the year preparatory to an oral examination held by a board of examiners. Their examination, however, counted but little, the marks for the year being assigned principally from the monthly reports. Written examinations were wholly unknown before 1857 and were introduced gradually.

It is noteworthy that a partial elective system was tried before 1850, but not working satisfactorily the system was abandoned for a few years, but was subsequently adopted again in a more complete form. The development of the elective system and written examinations has gone on side by side, the latter being necessitated to a high degree by the former. When lectures began to take the place of recitations and the courses became larger, it was found necessary to abandon the old plan of marking upon recitations. Thus it will be seen that there has been a decided move in the right direction, and it is not wholly outside the range of probability that some system of marks will in time be developed which will be as great an improvement over the present system as that is over the one which it has superseded.