NOETS AND COMMENTS.

"Sonnets and Cansonnets," by A. Bronson Alcott, is to be published soon.

Ex-Vice-President Russell, of Cornell, now holds a professorship at Brown.

The Danish authorities have forbidden the circulation of Zola's works in that country.

A new book in the high aesthetic line has been written by William Morris. It is called "Hopes and Fears for Art."

Co-nun-drnm. Why is a kiss like rumor? Because it flies from mouth to mouth. Why is it like a sermon? Because it requires two heads and an application.

Young ladies' seminary. - Examination in history: Teacher-"Mary, did Martin Luther die a natural death?" Mary-"No; he was excommunicated by a bull." - [Ex.

On Thursday, February 9th, the Princeton seniors held a class-meeting, at which the resignations of all the class-day officers elected last December were presented and accepted.

Much complaint is made at Oxford of sneak-thieves, who boldly enter students' rooms as if they were visitors, and if they find the rooms empty, quietly help themselves to valuables. Eight rooms in Magdalen were entered in a single afternoon. Queens', Hertford and St. Mary's have also been "worked."

The New York Mail and Express devotes some of its valuable space to "College Chips," from which we learn that belligerent college students seem to be unpleasantly numerous just now; that students of the University of Pennsylvania are very important young men; that Yale boys should have what they want; that Harvard's Greek play netted a handsome profit; that the Harvard students who endeavored to disturb Oscar Wilde at his lecture in Boston, now realize that their action was not very creditable; that the college boat races next summer promise to be more exciting than ever, but that college presidents are opposed to the sport on the ground that it engenders betting and gambling among the students.

Frederick Louis Ritter, professor of music at Vassar College, has composed a serenade for two violins, viola, violoncello, contrabass, flute and French horn, which will be performed at the next concert of the New York Philharmonic Club. Two new compositions by Rafael Joseffy will also be performed for the first time in public at this concert, which takes place on March 7.

Prof. Norton has invited Princeton to the membership of the American Institute of Archaeology. As a result of his representations, the matter was laid before the trustees by a committee of the faculty, with their endorsement. The terms of membership are, briefly, an annual subscription of $250, pledged for ten years, and the furnishing, for one year in this time, of a professor from the classical department to take charge of the school. It is understood that part of the funds have been pledged, and the remainder will probably be forthcoming before next September, when the school is to open. Prof. Goodwin of Harvard is to take charge the first year.