No Headline

The near approach of the freshman athletic meeting induces us to call the attention of eighty-nine to the importance of furnishing a full field of entries for all the events on the programme. It has become the custom of the college to watch closely the result of these freshman field sports. Every winner is carefully noticed, not so much from any great interest in his success in the particular event he happens to be contesting, but because his performance is taken as a measure by which to judge of the future strength or weakness of our Mott Haven tam. In fact the upperclassmen interested in athletics regard this freshman meeting as being merely a "pointer" to indicate our chances of victory in the larger arena of the inter-collegiate association. We have been informed that the present freshman class contains several men who have made creditable records in the field games held at the preparatory schools from which they come. From a casual glance at the class when assembled in a body, we are convinced that its athletic material is fully up to the average, even if it does not go beyond it. We are sure, then, that the athletes of eighty-nine can give us an exhibition at their coming sports which shall at the same time reflect credit upon their class, and remove all apprehensions of future defeat in track athletics.