BASE-BALL.

Shall We Have a Consolidated Nine?

Now that the 'Varsity Nine have begun their out-door practice, the question naturally arises whether we are to have a consolidated nine this spring to aid them in their work. All who remember the valuable assistance rendered by the second eleven to the foot-ball team last fall will not hesitate to recommend a similar scheme to the nine. The substitute "battery" of the 'Varsity furnishes a strong foundation for a consolidated nine, and by the interest shown in base-ball matters by the university at large we can safely guarantee that the second nine will not have to go begging for suitable candidates. The Freshman Nine can also gain great benefit from such an organization, and all will agree that it is high time for steps to be taken to prevent the almost proverbial victory of Yale's Freshman Nines. Many minor advantages could be suggested, such as the extra inducement for regular practice to foot-ball men, a more efficient manner of training for 'Varsity substitutes, and the evidently desirable opportunity for the regular 'Varsity to practice as a nine instead of separately, as is now necessary. If a second nine is to be formed it is surely time to take the first steps, and we hope it will be immediately organized and set to work on Jarvis or Holmes.