TELEGRAPHIC BREVITIES.

THE ASSASSIN IN THE HANDS OF THE POLICE.

The Senate yesterday resumed consideration of the funding bill.

There were twenty-eight deaths from smallpox last week at Pittsburg.

The verdict of the jury in the Kennebunk disaster was delivered yesterday.

The father of Senator Miller, of New York, was killed on a railroad crossing yesterday.

The Boston Theatre Company made a decided bit in "Youth," at Baltimore last evening.

It is rumored that Senator Edmunds is to be offered the place on the Supreme Court Bench made vacant by Judge Hunt's resignation.

The gasometer of the Citizens' Gas Company, of Newark, exploded last evening, and the whole northern part of the city was left in darkness.

It is estimated at the treasury department that the public debt statement, which will be issued today, will show a reduction of about $10,000,000.

Revolving Libraries, specially adapted to lawyers, physicians, clergymen, public or private libraries, courts, clubs, etc., in two shelves or five shelves, at Paine's Furniture Store, Canal street, opposite Boston and Maine depot.

The physicians who attended the late President have decided not to present any bill for services. They will prepare a statement, showing how much time they spent daily on duty, and will take whatever Congress offers them.

A disastrous fire occurred yesterday in New York city, in which the loss of life is said to be very great. Nearly $1,000,000 worth of property was destroyed. The fire originated in the old World building, corner of Park Row and Beekman street. Several newspapers were burned out.

B.T.B.THE WEATHER.WASHINGTON, D. C., Feb. 1, 1882, 1 A. M. For New England, snow followed by clearing weather, north-west winds, slight changes in temperature and rising barometer.