STUDENTS GOVERNMENTS.

RESULTS OF THE SYSTEM AT THE ILLINOIS STATE UNIVERSITY, CHAMPAIGN, ILL.

The system of self-government by college students is not altogether a new and untried experiment in the history of education. Whether the frequenters at the Academy at Athens in classic times were held under the strict sway of a model "paternal" government, of the most approved American pattern, or whether they thrived upon elective courses in conduct, as well as in studies (see Professor Clapp in the last Nation, who believes election in one necessarily implies election in the other) is a question perhaps beyond our powers to determine. Young America, alas, did not exist in those days and, of a consequence, the delights and glories of college hazing and rushing were unknown to the simple-minded barbarians of Athens and Rome. It is a fact, we believe, that in our day there are one or two institutions in Germany where a partial system of student-government is in actual operation. But it was reserved for America, of course, to make the first complete experiment in the matter. At the State Industrial University, at Champaign, Illinois, for a number of years, a thoroughly organized and once successful students' government has been in operation. Of late, however, this Utopian scheme has received a decided set-back, and the fate of self-government for students and of this first quasi declaration of independence of theirs hangs trembling in the balance. A special correspondent of the HERALD, at Champaign, writes as follows, speaking, as will be seen, to a certain extent, ex cathedra: "I can afford the HERALD an account of our college government. In the first place, let me say that my only connection with the government has been as a member of the senate, and in that capacity I have cast an opposition vote. In other words, I am an opponent of the students' government. Not that I oppose such institutions in general, but that the present form, as it exists here, has to my mind a few very disagreeable features which lack compensation.

In theory our system is good - as here practised it is a partial failure. The executive power is vested in the usual officers, from president down to marshal. The legislative power is vested in a senate composed of twenty-one members. Every legislative act requires the signature of the regent to become a law. The judicial power is vested in a court presided over by a chief justice and two associates. There are also meetings of the general assembly. It reflects rather severely on this system, that if all the officers, save the marshal, the prosecuting attorney and the justices, were to resign, the efficiency of the government would not in the slightest degree be impaired.

During the last week of last term the General Assembly resigned all powers of government and returned them to the regent and faculty. They refused to acknowledge the action of the assembly, the regent deciding it unconstitutional, upon technical grounds. And so the government still exists, - a hollow form supported by the officers of the university. A recent announcement of the president, calling a special meeting of the General Assembly, failed to bring together a quorum.

Still, as I have said, the failure is but partial. I believe that a system of self-government by the students can be formed which will be popular, effective and broad enough in its scope to escape the odium which has become attached to our form.

To devise such a scheme requires no little foresight, - to found a government that shall maintain its respectability has yet to be done. Of ours, some call it a farce, and others - well, others say nothing."

W.