IN MEMORIAM.

After a short and disgraceful career '85 quietly passed away, from an illness resulting from over-exertion in attempting to raise a crew.

Having proved itself unworthy to be ranked among the other classes in Columbia, and having brought great disrepute on the fair fame of its Alma Mater, the news of its death will be welcomed by the colleges in general.

Funeral on the Harlem next June.

All congratulations should be sent to '84. Harvard papers please copy."

These notices were posted up on a tree in front of our old building. The freshmen were naturally "riled" at this insult, and for more than an hour on each of two consecutive days an indiscriminate mauling match was carried on. Both sides claimed the victory, but the classes were about evenly matched in the number of missing shirts and broken Derbys, not to mention heads. As far as your correspondent can see, the only persons benefitted by the rush were the hatters and haberdashers.

After a delay of nearly a year the trustees have elected a Professor of English Literature. Their choice is Prof. Thomas R. Price, of the University of Virginia, who is in every way qualified for the position, and who was highly recommended by the most eminent scholars of this country; as, for instance, Prof. Gildersleeve, of Johns Hopkins University, and Prof. March, of Lafayette.

T. C. S.