THE COLLEGE WORLD.

The undeniable tendency of our day is towards the gradual loosening of all the time-honored and traditional ties of college and class custom, and, using the word in the etymological sense, the gradual vulgarizing of all the old and peculiar institutions of college life. This year, indeed, has seemed to mark a reaction from this tendency. At hardly any period, almost, within the memory of college students has there been such an epidemic of college hazings and escapades of all sorts. This phenomenon seems inexplicable; but we regard it as nothing more than a reaction from the inevitable tendency of which we have spoken. The movement is undeniable; it has of course manifested itself first at the great centres of student-life - the larger universities of the country; but it is already spreading among the rural colleges. As the satire runs in the daily press, "A student is now regarded just like a human being, and is supposed to have the sensations and emotions of a man." Another result, or rather evidence of this course of affairs, is seen in the contest between the paternal and the non-paternal theories of college government; the former an antique survival, the latter an innovation of the new regime. If college students are human, they should be held amenable to human laws and must suffer the ordinary penalties for transgressing them. But one of the most striking evidences that the college student is coming out into the world, as one might say, and is beginning to take an interest in its affairs, and that, as a natural consequence, the world in return is beginning to take an interest in his affairs, is made manifest by a noticeable tendency in American journalism of late years to devote far more space and attention than before to reports and discussions of college news. Indeed, the college column is coming to be a recognized feature among the more enterprising metropolitan journals; and if the college man does not receive recognition directly in this way the increasing deference shown by the abler papers to the ways of thought and the subjects of interest to students and graduates, is very observable. The New York Times and the Evening Post and the Boston Advertiser are familiar examples of this latter tendency. The regular weekly "College Chronicle" of the New York World is a department of that paper well known and much read by college men, though conducted, one must acknowledge at times, with more industry than true journalistic insight. The Philadelphia News is another paper that has a weekly department of college notes. The Boston papers of late years, it is well known, have been devoting much attention to college news and particularly to Harvard matters; several indeed find it worth their while to employ special college reporters. The Post publishes daily Harvard College notes; and the college articles of the Sunday Herald and Globe are already famous among their student readers.

The Acta has opened a crusade against lacrosse at Columbia. Here is philippic number one: "On the 29th of April Columbia will be beaten at lacrosse by the N. Y. University. The score, provided the game is played long enough, will be about 50 to 0 in favor of N. Y. University. This will be merely a rehearsal for a game with Harvard on May 6th, when the score on our side will surely be as much as 0, with Harvard two or three hundred more. By the way, where does the money come from to support this gift on our college? Give your money to the boat club and let lacrosse die?

"The proposition to open Columbia to women is a rebuke to Harvard." - [Commercial Advertiser.] Has not the same proposition been made at Harvard? And will not Columbia treat this one the same way that Harvard did hers? Exactly where does the rebuke come in?

The seniors have received the list of rooms for which they can apply at Harvard. The complaint seems to be general that the list is a poor one to select from. It would seem that a new hall is needed very much, as there are only about seventy-five rooms, and one hundred and fifty fellows to draw for. - [Exonian.

The annual convention of the Psi Upsilon fraternity is to be held in Syracuse May 10 and 11.