SPORTING NEWS AND NOTES.

Steinitz leads in the chess tournament at Vienna.

The Nyack Rowing Club of New York has a new $8000 boat-house.

Mr. Simmonds has made another attempt to cross the channel in a balloon.

The London Sportsman condemns the English treatment of the Hillside crew.

Captain Webb and G. W. Wade have arranged a swimming race of two miles for $500 a side.

The regatta of the National Yachting Association has been fixed for July 4. The start will be off Jersey City.

Twenty-three yachts contested in the recent regatta of the Atlantic Yacht Club. The Crusader, Agnes, Gracie, Lizzie L., the Elephant and Corinne were the winners. The Elipse took the Livingston Memorial.

The executive committee of the Cricketers' Association of the United States has announced that its annual match shall be played, as usual, on July 4 and 5, on the grounds of the German-town Cricket Club at Nicetown.

At a meeting of the Marylebone All England Lawn Tennis clubs, held in London last month, it was decided to lower the nets at the posts from 4 feet to 3 feet 6 inches. The decision was arrived at after discussion, in hopes of discouraging the volleying which has to a great extent taken the place of the return from the back of the court after the first bound of the ball. The effect will be to give a player who can place the return more opportunity of playing the ball on one or the other side of an antagonist who stands in the middle of the court prepared to volley.