YALE.

ANNUALS - PROSPECTS OF THE RACE - TAKING THE FENCE.

[FROM OUR REGULAR CORRESPONDENT.]

NEW HAVEN, CONN., Nov. 19. - The Glee Club made its first appearance this fall the other evening at a Shakespeare reading given by Prof. Raymond of Boston. The selections given were very well rendered, and make it evident that the club is very good this year. The warbling of Chamberlain, '80, is much missed.

The new Sloane Laboratory is fast assuming definite proportions. It is a fine building and will add greatly to the appearance of the college.

The gymnasium has received some repairs. The roof has been fixed and a new covering has been put upon the running track. I suppose that it will be necessary to be content with the old one until some benefactor appears, but a new gymnasium is one of the most pressing needs of our college.

The approach of the end of the term has brought with it some social events. The juniors held a very successful german recently and the sophomores are to have one this week. The three upper classes usually hold three during the year.

In athletics foot-ball has absorbed everything. Practice has been steadily maintained. The college was a good deal rejoiced Saturday last at the news of Harvard's victory. We must confess that from all we had learned it seemed as though Princeton would win. Harvard certainly is to be congratulated. The game at Boston on Saturday is now looked forward to with great interest, in as much as it is to be really the decisive game. It is best not to prophesy. We have a good deal of confidence in our team, though we feel that it has been much weakened by the loss of Camp. It is asserted positively that he will be unable to play this week. Our game with Columbia on Saturday last speaks for itself largely. Columbia played a very weak game. To be sure, she was crippled by the loss of her two best players, Sherman and Morgan. The Yale team played rather a brilliant game, but it was unsteady and at times very risky. The ball is fumbled sometimes and there is a great tendency to throw it ahead. It is hoped that another week's practice may correct these faults. Probably a large delegation of Yale men will go to Cambridge on Saturday. Very excellent rates have been secured by the president of the Foot-ball Association.

B.