THE STEWARD AGAIN.

EDITORS HARVARD HERALD: I wish to call attention to a flagrant abuse of authority perpetrated this morning by the steward of Memorial Hall on a number of the boarders. My own personal experience, which is substantially the same as that of the others, was as follows: I came into the hall a few minutes before nine o'clock, while the doors were still open, and on ordering my breakfast, was informed by the waiter that my order had "given out" - a notorious and disagreeable feature in the management of the hall - but that he would get me something as soon as it came up from the kitchen below. In company with several other men at my table in like predicament, I waited and waited until patience was exhausted. At last, about 9.30, the waiter reported that Mr Balch had declined to provide anything more and that therefore there was nothing for us. One very small lot of provisions had been sent up in the interval, which failed to satisfy the wants of more than two or three men, while the desires of the much larger number remained unsatisfied. In this manner a considerable number of men who came in at the end of the hour were deprived of their breakfasts. This was certainly an outrageous proceeding on the part of the steward, and savors of an impudence unparalleled save by some of his own previous performances. He should certainly be compelled to regard the just rights of boarders at the hall and to provide sufficient provisions for each meal. There is besides, a standing rule that the articles of fare shall not be sent down until seven minutes after the expiration of the hour - a rule that was here clearly violated. Not content with disregarding all previous criticisms and restraint ineffectually imposed, the steward now goes one step farther and arbitrarily interferes with a man's right to his meals. In the language of the Advocate, and echoed by many sufferers, "The steward must go."

M. T.9ANUARY 11, 1883.