CONSTITUTION OF THE INTER-COLLEGIATE PRESS ASSOCIATION.

In order that the objects of the Inter-Collegiate Press Association may be fully understood we give the constitution in full.

ARTICLE I.NAME AND OBJECT.SECTION 1. This association shall be called "The Inter-Collegiate Press Association."

SECTION 2. The object of this association shall be to build up a social and quasi professional friendship among its members, and to elevate the standard of college journalism, having due regard to local demands and differences.

ARTICLE II.MEMBERSHIP.SECTION 1. The term "college journal" shall be considered as applying only to journals published in a college, the majority of the editors of which paper shall be undergraduates, responsible to the faculty of such college.

SECTION 2. Any college journal after applying for admission, and securing a favorable report from the board of reference, subsequently ratified by a two-thirds vote of the association, may, by signing this constitution and paying an entrance fee of ten dollars, become a member of the Inter-Collegiate Press Association.

SECTION 3. It shall be the duty of every paper represented in the association to strive to maintain a high standard of literary and editorial excellence; and in order that an additional incentive may be given, the membership of each paper shall be dependent upon the relative standing of such paper as a college journal.

SECTION 4. Each paper shall elect annually a corresponding secretary, whose duties are hereinafter provided.

ARTICLE III.OFFICERS.SECTION 1. The officers of this association shall consist of a president, vice-president, secretary-treasurer and a board of reference.

SECTION 2. The president shall be a senior and the vice-president a junior.

SECTION 3. The position of secretary-treasurer shall be placed in the hands of some journal in the association.

SECTION 4. The board of reference shall consist of three papers, including that to which the president belongs.

ARTICLE IV.DUTIES OF OFFICERS.SECTION 1. The duties of the president shall be to preside at all meetings of the association, and to act as chairman of the board of reference.

SECTION 2. The duties of the vice-president shall be to perform the duties of the president in case of absence or disability on the part of the latter.

SECTION 3. The duties of the secretary-treasurer shall be to record the proceedings of the meetings, to attend to all correspondence, to receive and disburse the funds of the association, and to perform all duties specified at any convention.

SECTION 4. The duties of the board of reference shall be to decide, subject to the ratification of the association, all questions of admission and expulsion of members, after due notification and correspondence with members of the association, to assume all the functions of an executive committee, to take charge of all literary exercises hereinafter provided, and to act as a committee on credentials.

ARTICLE V.MEETINGS.SECTION 1. The association shall meet annually at some date between December 10th and 31st, to be decided by the committee of reference, after correspondence with the members.

SECTION 2. The place of meeting shall be decided by the annual convention for the succeeding convention.

SECTION 3. The convention, when assembled regularly in the place, and at the time above specified, shall proceed immediately with the following order of business :

Roll call.

Minutes of previous convention.

Reports of retiring officers.

Proposals and election of members.

Election of officers.

Election of members for literary work of the succeeding convention.

Unfinished business.

New business.

Adjournment.

SECTION 4. After the business of the association shall have been satisfactorily adjusted by the convention it shall proceed with the literary exercises, which shall consist of an oration, a poem, a history of college journalism during the completed year, a paper on some live college topic, and general discussion by members. The literary exercises shall be provided by those members regularly elected for such duty by the preceding convention.

ARTICLE VI.CORRESPONDING SECRETARIES.SECTION 1. Each board of editors represented in the association shall choose annually one of its members as a corresponding secretary for its journal, and immediately notify the secretary of the association of such election. In case of the removal of such secretary a successor shall immediately be chosen.

SECTION 2. It shall be the duty of the corresponding secretary to furnish any of the journals belonging to the association, as accurately and promptly as possible, such information respecting his college as is sought by said journal. For any neglect or non-performance of his duties his journal shall be responsible to the association.

ARTICLE VII.ENTRANCE FEES AND DUES.SECTION 1. The initiation fee to this association shall be $10, payable on joining the association.

SECTION 2. The dues shall be $5 a year, payable at the convention.

ARTICLE VIII.AMENDMENTS.Amendments to this constitution may be proposed in writing to the secretary of the association one month previous to the annual convention, at which time it will be acted upon. The consent of two-thirds of the members present shall be necessary for the adoption of any amendment.