ELECTION METHODS IN GERMANY.

An audience which completely filled Sever 11 listened last evening to a very interesting lecture on "Election Methods in Germany," by Baron Geo. Von Bunsen, a member of the Imperial Parliament. The method of proclature for electing a member to parliament in Germany is in many respects similar to the one in vogue in this country for electing a representative to Congress. But at the same time there are certain differences which Baron Von Bunsen said his hearers would readily detect as he proceeded with his lecture. In Germany it is customary in each electoral district, as the time for an election approaches, for a few of the leading members of a party to assemble and hold a sort of informal caucus, at which it is decided what candidates will best represent the party. The gentlemen whose names are mentioned prominently in this connection are then notified, and a formal caucus is held, at which the nominee receiving the largest number of votes is declared to be the regular party candidate. At this caucus it may be said that the one who stays long enough to tire his opponents is the one who receives the nomination Next in order comes a call for an assembly of all the voters, at which the candidates of the respective parties make speeches, for the most part devoted to criticism of their opponents. The fact which the lecturer said he wished to make was that usually the speakers do not discuss their platforms and tell what they will do as in this country, but devote themselves entirely to attacking the character of their opponents. On the day appointed for the voting a government commissioner takes charge of the polls, assisted by certain of the citizens of the district who he invites. The polls are then opened and each voter steps up and deposits his ballot in the box, has his name scratched on the check list and then retires to give place to another. The check lists, it may be said, are made out two weeks beforehand, and are open to public inspection. The voting begins at 10 A. M., and at 6 P. M. the polls are closed and the contents of the ballot box being turned out by the government commissioner a count is first made of the number of votes, which is verified by comparison with the check list. Then the votes for each candidate is counted and the returns sent to the board of government commissioners in each district, who inspect them and officially announce the result. It only remains for the successful candidate to appear before the commissioners and affirm that he will discharge the duties of his position conscientiously, or if he is not in the country he must forward a written deposition to the same effect. But the candidate is not yet assured of his seat until the German Parliament, which reserves the right to recall rejected candidates and to dismiss the others in case of an illegal election, has looked into his case and confirmed his election. From the decision of the German Parliament there is absolutely no appeal. After election but little attention is paid the member by his constituents, until the time for another campaign arrives.

The lecture was amusing, and instructive throughout, and that it was appreciated by the audience, the hearty applause at its close fully demonstrated.