NOTES AND COMMENTS.

Polo flourishes at Oxford.

Brown expresses great confidence in the powers of her nine for the coming season.

The Princeton College Boat Club has sixteen men in training, and will be represented by four-oared crews in the Passaic regatta at Newark on Decoration day, in the race for the Childs cup on the Schuylkill river, Philadelphia, and in the Lake George regatta of July 4.

The Princetonian commends the action of the Base-Ball Convention in bringing about a reduction in the size of the association with prospects of a further reduction, and thinks that this result shows to the inter-meddlers of the outside press, who have wished to dictate a reform in college athletics, that college matters will adjust themselves, that students have no desire to rush to unworthy extremes, and that college faculties are the best Judges of college affairs and the best ones to regulate college athletics.

Before taking to gymnasium training the Yale crew row 21/2 miles daily, and from 15 minutes to half an hour at the rate of 42 strokes a minute. The men now at work are Louis K. Hull, '83, captain, 199 pounds; H. T. Folsom, '83, stroke, 174 pounds; F. W. Rogers, '83, 180 pounds; N. J. Guernsey, Law School, 186 pounds; W. H. Hyndman, '84, 192 pounds; H. R. Flanders, '85, 187 pounds; J. R. Parrott, '83, 198 pounds. This leaves seven of last year's crew, the missing man being Storrs, who last year pulled No. 7. Folsom, Guernsey and Rogers have pulled together four successive years. Parrott was a substitute two years.

Some of the Boston critics are not at all pleased that Harvard should choose a New York painter, Wm. M. Chase, to make a likeness of Ex-President Hayes for Memorial Hall, and another, J. W. Alexander, to give the likeness of Oliver Wendell Holmes for the Medical School. Both portraits are subjected to violent criticism in a number of papers. The Journal thinks the Holmes portrait a judgment on the committee that could not find a better painter nearer home; and the Gazette is even more wrathful. "The muddiness, the ugliness, and the fantastic charlatanism of the picture," it cries, "leave the spectator in doubt whether to be more exasperated at the impertinence or the recklessness of the artist."

LATE CONCESSIONS-WHAT?An "Alumnus" of Columbia writes to the N. Y. Evening Post: "The conservative spirit prevailing in the council of Columbia College, of which this latest action is a very good example, apparently looks upon co-education as something radical, and revolutionary, and untried in fact as a positive danger to society and morality. The examples of Cornell, Oberlin, Michigan University, and the late concessions at Harvard, are not even alluded to, although the evidence in favor of co-education from these institutions is overwhelming."