LASELL GIRIS AT HARVARD.

The last number of The Lasell Leaves contains an account of the visit of some sixty Lasell students to Mt. Auburn and Harvard. After a description of the visit to Mt. Auburn closing with the quotation:

"Life is real ! life is earnest ! etc.,"the Leaves resumes its account of the trip: "It did not seem exactly in keeping to go to Harvard immediately after this;" (referring to the quotation, we suppose,) "but that was a part of the plan, and so-we soon left the tall iron fence of the cemetery behind.

We should have enjoyed our visit to Harvard more completely if we had not had the uncomfortable sense of being very conspicuous. To be sure, a procession of sixty girls marching about among those solemn old buildings, is not an every-day sight; but when heads were thrust out of every window, and there were, unmistakably, audible signs of amusement, we wished that we were not altogether such a big, unwieldy body, that we might get speedily out of sight. Now, each student who watched us, if he had met us personally, would, we are sure, have had the manners of a gentleman; but, taken together, they certainly did not act as hosts are supposed to act toward guests. We wonder if it is too much to ask that girls in a body should be treated with the same courtesy that would be shown to individuals.

The library was interesting, but tantalizing. We should so much like to explore the contents of those many, many shelves, and our time was so short ! The ancient things collected in the topmost story interested us very much. One thing we noticed was a Greek text-book used by John Dryden, when a school-boy. He had scribbled his name many times over the pages, school-boy fashion, and interspersed Latin hotes in the Greek, to assist his memory. Then there was a copy of Pindar, which had belonged to Milton, and had his notes on the margin written in Greek, in a small, neat hand.

We saw Memorial Hall, Sanders' Theatre, where the Greek plays were given and the dining-hall, in which are places for nearly five hundred. In the gymnasium we saw much wonderful apparatus, but we who had never visited Harvard before, could not help wishing that we could see some of it in use.

I am very much afraid that we went home coveting the good things of our neighbors. As we stood in Memorial Hall, and looked up at the lofty walls hung with portraits of illustrious men, and lighted by beautiful stained-glass windows, we grew decidedly envious. Why should not girls have their senses educated by being surrounded with beauty during their years of study? To be sure, Lasell is not bare and dreary, like the conventional boarding-school, and many "things of beauty" are taking their place in our halls, but we need a great deal more than we have. Beautiful things are educators as well as books. When millions are spent in educating the rising generation of men, why doesn't somebody give at least a few thousands toward preparing young women for their part in the life of the twentieth century?