FOOT BALL AT CORNELL.

The Cornell Sun speaks as follows about foot ball in that institution.

"For four years Rugby foot ball, as played by all the colleges of note in the eastern part of the country, has been struggling for existence at Cornell, against the combined forces of the old American game, prejudice and general student apathy. This year it has succeeded in driving its opponent from the field and overcoming the ancient prejudice against itself, but the third obstacle still prevents Rugby from obtaining a permanent footing upon our campus. Through the efforts of a few members of the association the foot ball grounds were marked out and a team chosen some four weeks ago, but what has been accomplished since? For a few days quite a crowd assembled at the hours bulletined for games, but never were all the picked eleven there, and therefore those who did appear had to play against overwhelming numbers, a kind of game that does no good to either side. As soon as the novelty was gone, a call for a game was able only to bring out a crowd of from fifteen to twenty, half of whom were freshmen, and for two weeks these continued to play a series of loose irregular games among themselves. Then came the challenge from Harvard and, to the disgust of all the surprise of many, the managers were obliged to refuse because of a lack of a trained eleven. This unfortunate event had at least the effect of rousing a desire to have the team play somebody.

This is all very well, but still where is our eleven? The season selected at the beginning of the season has not played a single game together. Some of them have not been on the field but once or twice. Now this is all wrong. Men that don't play foot ball are not the men to put on the eleven. A team that plays well together is immeasurably superior to a much heavier team of less experience. The natural conclusion then is this, put the men that play and train on the team. They are the ones who have enthusiasm enough to support the eleven and as they do the work they should have the honor. Such an eleven might not contain the best material in college but it would make the best representative team. Do not defer picking out an eleven to wait for better men, but form one, subiect to change, from the material that offers, and if better men desire positions let them earn them by good work and good play,"