THE CORRESPONDENCE UNIVERSITY.

The Cornell Era gives the following account of the new Correspondence University, Upon which we have already commented: The Correspondence University is an association of experienced instructors, who have been carefully selected, not only for their knowledge of the subjects assigned to them, but for their skill and ability in teaching. Its purpose is to enable students to receive at home systematic instruction at a moderate expense, in all subjects which can be taught by means of correspondence, whether the studies be collegiate, graduate, or professional, or preparatory for the higher institutions of learning.

As the Correspondence University is designed to supplement the work of other educational institutions, by instructing persons who, from any cause, are unable to attend them, it hopes to be cordially welcomed by the authorities of the schools and colleges in the United States and Canada. It is not to be conducted for or against the interests of any other institution, but its members desire to be helpful to all; it will doubtless stimulate to methodical study persons who otherwise might find no opportunity for intellectual work, and is thus likely to increase the mission to good schools. Instructors will always be selected for their special qualification, without regard to the institutions with which they happen to be connected.

Those whom it is intended directly to benefit are: (1) persons engaged in professional studies which can be taught by correspondence; (2) graduates of colleges doing collegiate or advanced work; (3) under-teachers in the various schools and colleges: (4) officers and men in the United States Army or Navy; (5) persons who intend to try any of the Civil Service Examinations; (6) young men or women in stores or shops, or on farms, who are desirous to learn, but cannot leave their labor to attend school; and, finally, persons in any walk of life, who would gladly take up some study for its own sake.

Informal examinations, by correspondence, will be held at intervals by each instructor, at his discretion; they will involve no extra expense, and will be required of every student. Besides the above, pass and honor examinations, will be held, open to such students as desire to take them. The pass examinations, at the end of a course in any subject, will be conducted by the Instructor in charge; the honor examinations, on the first Wednesday in December in each year, will be conducted by some distinguished specialist, who has no share in the instruction of the students. Both the pass and the honor examinations will be written in the presence of some gentleman of high character, who resides near the person examined; and graded certificates, signed by the Examiner, will be given to those who succeed in passing them.