THE TIMES AT YALE.

While we at Harvard have been alternately shocked by the boat house disaster and entertained by the freshman sports, tennis tournaments and foot-ball practice, our neighbors at Yale have been undergoing experiences quite as varied, and even more unfortunate. The recent death of a prominent member of '84 has cast a feeling of sadness over the greater part of the college, which will not be entirely dispelled for many weeks. There have been various rumors of the prevalence of typhoid fever, but as yet they appear to be without foundation, this being the only death attributable to such a cause. But there has also been a pleasant side to the last few days as well as a sad one, and there are numerous plans already on foot for future entertainments. The coming junior promenade is already beginning to be a prominent topic of conversation and '85 is bound if possible to make it seem a greater success than last year's, which is say a great deal. We only trust that when it does actually come off, the News will restrain itself and not give way to such a strain of gush and nonsense as was contained in its report of the proceedings of '84's promenade. Among the principal events of the past few days was the yacht club race of a week ago today, for the third-class challenge cup. The Banner was to make its appearance on Saturday last, according to the News, but as we have heard nothing said about it since, it is probable that the publication has been delayed, as is frequently the case. The Pot Pouri, the other annual, is soon to be published but as yet the date has not been announced.

The Lacrosse interest was represented at the recent convention at Staten Island, and Yale sent a team to New York to compete for the Oelrich cup in Saturday's tournament. Quite a great deal of interest has been manifested in the sport and a strong effort was made to carry the trophy to New Haven. Yale met with the University of New York in the first drawing.

Of course foot-ball monopolizes the greatest interest, and the team is working hard to perfect their play. During the last few days both Richards and Terry have been laid up, but their injuries are only slight and they will both probably resume practice in a few days. Harvard's practice games have been eagerly watched by the college and though they don't appear to consider our team very formidable, they credit us with a heavy rush-line and ascribe Stevens' two points more to the weather than to our weakness. The freshmen are hard at work and training regularly, and it is of interest to note that in one of their recent games with the university eleven they scored two touch-downs. Thus it will be seen that our own freshmen will have to work exceptionally hard if they want to make a good showing for themselves, while it is also apparent that Yale's foot-ball record will in all probability not remain so one-sided as formerly, unless they make a big "brace."

Apropos of our own recent distinguished visitors from the Fatherland and England, Lord Chief Justice Coleridge, as was expected, visited the college on Friday and addressed the students.

In a recent number of the News an interesting list was given of the occupations of those who graduated last year, and though the list was necessarily incomplete and inaccurate, it gives a very good idea of what '83 is now doing. From it we learn that the law claims the largest number,-thirty-six-while twenty-one are engaged in business and seventeen in teaching. Eleven have begun to study medicine, and only three are fitting for the ministry. The Columbia and Yale Law Schools receive the greatest number of would-be lawyers, while two members of the class have entered the Harvard Medical School, and three that of the University of Pennsy Ivania.

The following clipping, taken from the editorial columns of the Detroit Evening Journal can not fail to be of interest as an apt illustration of the insane ideas held by many on the subject of college athletics. The elegant language and rational sentiments contained in this extract are particularly noticeable, and cause the feeling of entertainment which arises at first sight, to deepen into the most heart-felt pity for the unfortunate perpetrators :

The meeting of representatives of American colleges, to consider the subject of athletic sports, soon to take place, is very timely. It will be held on the heels of the disaster at Harvard, where unrestrained enthusiasm over a boat race caused a crowded platform to give way, probably with fatal results to some. The accident will serve to emphasize the importance of placing some regulation and restraint upon college sports. Probably the best way this could be done would be to make athletic training a part of the curriculum. If a student were compelled to blister his hands with a pair of oars, or cripple his fingers with a hard base ball, or "stand up" before Prof. John L. Sullivan for a specified time every day, perhaps the fascination would wear off, and he might be induced to give some little time and a little thought to his studies. At any event, there would in this method be an absence of that wild excitement under which most of the injurious effects of athletic sports are brought about, and there would be less likelihood that the student would sprain his ankle, break his arm, or crack his skull.