THE ENGINE SOCIETY.

About 1790, the government of Harvard College purchased a fire-engine and placed it under the management of the students, but it was not until nearly 1810 that the Engine Society was organized. The members of the company were accustomed to attend all the fires both in Cambridge and in the surrounding towns, and soon became noted for their skill and efficiency. But their services were not always as beneficial as the people desired. the members of the society were too fond of practical jokes and were too often getting into scrapes to please the more quiet townsfolk. Once when the engine had been newly repaired, the students decided to try its power on an old house which was to be set on fire at a certain time. But the alarm was given too soon and many of the town's people endeavored to save the building. The company, however determined that it should burn, dragged the engine to a pond near by and threw the dirty water upon the citizens in such quantities that they were glad to escape. Another amusement, in which they frequently indulged, was the practice of throwing water into any window on the yard which happened to be open. This harmless recreation proved ruinous to the society, for we learn that "about the year 1822, having discharged water into the room of the college regent, thereby damaging a very valuable library of books, the company was disbanded and shortly after the engine was sold to the town of Cambridge, on condition that it should never be taken out of the place."

The company headed by a chaplain would sometimes parade the streets of Cambridge in masquerade costume, presenting a most ludicrous appearance. During the days of its prosperity the society held meetings at stated intervals at which poems and orations were delivered, In this way it soon acquired a literary reputation which, however, was short-lived. Some of the poems were considered of sufficient merit to be published. The most famous one is the "Rebelliad" which was written by a Doctor Pierce in 1819 and first published in 1842.

The habit of attending fires in Boston, as it had the effect of withdrawing the attention of the students from their duties, soon incurred the disapproval of the faculty and was the real cause of the dissolution of the company. a large fire in Boston was the occasion of great rejoicing among the students. They were always warmly welcomed but it is doubtful if their assistance was very valuable. Wearied with their labors in fighting the flames, they were accustomed to leave behind them their engine which was generally sent out to Cambridge soon afterwards by the authorities in Boston. The favorite beverage at tires was rum and molasses, called blackstrap, which is often referred to in the college papers of that day.

The following verses taken from the Harvard Register are commemorative of the engine company when at the height of its popularity:

"Ye, who remember the superb array, The deafening cry, the engine's maddening play,

The broken windows, and the floating floor,

Where with those masters of bydranlic lone

Were wont to make us tremble as we gazed,

Can tell how many and false alarm was raised,

How many a room by their o'erflowings drenched,

And how few fires by their assistance quenched."