The New York Times speaks as follows of the Yale University Club :
"The University Club held an important meeting this week, the result of which will be to make the club an assured success, and one of the college institutions. The building rented by the club on Chapel street is owned by Mr. Bowen, of Brooklyn, N. Y., who graduated here in the class of '81. The idea of forming a club was first agitated in 1881, and it was first merely a place where meals could be obtained, and one or two of the New York papers quietly read in the club's reading-room. In 1882, owing to the influence of that class, it was improved very materially, the inner decorations being all new and radical changes made throughout. Elections were given out to 30 juniors from the class of '83, and it was made something of an honor to receive an election to the University Club, which now was on a par with any club-house in the city, containing a large reading-room, where all the daily papers were provided, and where now the college exchanges can be found, also a cafe. On the second floor is a reception room, well and tastefully furnished, with two small dining-rooms. On the third floor is a billiard-room, with a pool and billiard tables, a card-room, and a dining-room. Mr. W. K. Townsend, '71 ; Mr. Farnam, '70 ; Mr. Bowen '81 ; Mr. Camp, '80, and Mr. F. C. Bowen, '84, (the President), were appointed at the meeting as an Advisory Committee, and voted to prepare a book, where all the members of the club since its establishment in its present house, and from the time preceding that event, be enrolled in a club book, in which the character of the club would also be printed. Names have been obtained of members as far back as 1841, and among the graduates the interest is very strong, as is shown by the number who have written asking to be enrolled as members."