AMERICAN SCHOOL AT ATHENS.

At the meeting of the managing committee of the school of classical studies at Athens recently held in New York, Prof. Goodwin, who has been director during the past year, tendered his report. This report is a very interesting one and quite favorable to the future success of the school. The work of the six students present during the past year has been characterized by industry and a true desire to make the best of their opportunities. The school will be a great aid to scholars from America, who may in future visit Greece, and its work will not be limited to that done within its walls, so to speak. Its library now contains a complete set of the Greek classics and a large number of works of reference for the study of archaeology and philology in Athens. The number of volumes is constantly increasing from donations made by friends, chief among whom has been our minister, Mr. Eugene Schuyler.

The financial condition of the school, supported as yet by annual subscriptions, is encouraging, although Prof. Goodwin insists on the necessity of an endowment to secure a permanent director. Under the present arrangement, the annual director leaves Athens just when he is becoming best fitted for the work. Prof. Goodwin estimates the amount necessary to provide the director's salary and the

[Continued on fourth page.]

running expenses at about one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. If a permanent building is desired, a larger sum must be secured. The Greek government, which has all along treated the Americans with especial favor, has offered a piece of land for the purpose. A committee was appointed to consider the best means of raising the required funds. Prof. Gurney of Harvard resigned from the managing committee. The next director will be Prof. Lewis R. Packard of Yale, who is to be succeeded after one year by Prof. J. C. Van Benschoten of Wesleyan, and after two years by Prof. Basil L. Gildersleeve of Johns Hopkins. The committee invited the university of Pennsylvania to join in the support of the school.