Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Citing Toxic Culture and Administrator Departures, Harvard School of Public Health Faculty Repeatedly Weighed Voting No Confidence in Dean

Elizabeth Wurtzel ’89, Who Collected Friends ‘Like Beads on a String,’ Dies at 52

Multimedia

The Photos That Captured the 2010s

No Headline

The Student describes the proposed new gymnasium at Amherst as follows: "It is to be fitted up with apparatus very much after the style of that in the gym recently built at Harvard. The plans for the building are to have one story and a large basement. The first floor is to be a room 100 feet by 70 feet, with a circular gallery at one end, besides a space for the regular marching and dumb bell exercises. It is to have all the modern appliances for gymnastics and physical exercise. The basement is to contain regular bath rooms, a spray bath room of 8 feet by 10, a hot room to dry and rub down in, a shower bath room, sparring room, statistic room, billiard rooms and bowling alleys. The base-ball and tennis room is to be 100 feet long and 40 feet wide, surrounded by a wire cage. There is also to be a fine running track and rooms for three students, whose duty it will be to act as custodians of the entire property. These plans propose very elaborate arrangements, and if carried out will give a very fine and complete gymnasium." It had been hoped that enough money would be subscribed to commence work next fall; but the recent fire will, we fear, prevent this.