COLLEGE JOURNALISM.

We present below a short summary of a most interesting chapter on college journalism, in a book entitled "American Colleges" by the Rev. C. F. Thwing of Cambridge, which we hope shortly to review more at length.

It seems that Dartmouth was the first to start a college journal,-the "Gazetle" issued in 1800-to which Daniel Websterfrequently contributed. Yale next put forth a magazine under the title of the "Literary Cabinet," in 1806, the proceeds of which were to educate the poor students. To quote, "unfortunately for the poor students," the Cubinet died in less than a year after its birth. Harvard's first venture was a semi-monthly, the "Harvard Lyceum", which appeared in 1810, with Edward Everett on its staff; but it also was short-lived. Three or four other literary ventures were made at Yale but they all followed in the steps of the "Cabinet"until in 1839 the "Yale Lit" was founded, and this is now the foremost of her publications. Among its editors it has numbered Pres. Gilman of Jolms Hopkins, Secretary Evarts, Donald Milchell and others of equal renown. Of Harvard'd publications Mr. Thwing says "although Harvard's papers have been less numerous than Yale's, they indicate, (considered as a whole) greater literary ability and have had greater influence on college opinion." This is certainly flattering. In 1827 we find that the "Harvard Register" appeared as a monthly with several contributors who have since attained prominence. This was short-lived and in 1830 the "Colleyian" appeared with Dr. Holmes as a contributor. Then came "Harvardiana" and then from 1854 to 1864 was published the "Harvard Mayazine." In 1866 appeared the "Advocate" and in 1873 the "Mayenla" afterwards the "Crimson." It is interesting to note that in 1860 the "University Quarlerly" was begun in New Haven, the arm of which was to represent and the various American colleges and scientific schools and to this end it had representatives from each of the principal American colleges as well as from some foreign institutions. The "University Quaaterly" however only lived out eight numbers,-its organization was too complicated, though the idea which prompted its being was excellent.

Of college journals in general, Mr. Thawing says "although few colleges have been as prolific in newspaper children as Yale and Harvard, yet the history of journalism at these two colleges represents in general its history at Princeton, Williams, Brown University, and the older colleges," and he estimates that there are about two hundred essentially "college papers" now published, with an average circulation of about five hundred copies. The author also shows rare discernment when he remarks,-speaking of the "University Quarterly"-"its affairs were wound up without loss to its conductors-a somewhat rare circumstance in the death of a college journal." He also speaks in the highest terms of the "Lampoon,"-"the success that attended "Lampy's effort" in view of the usual fate of American humorous journals, is good evidence of the excellence of its work. Many of its bon mots and verses have been exceedingly clever, and some of its cartoons are worthy of Du Maurier, "and again, speaking of "the latest development in American college journalism," he says, "the college daily paper is emphatically a news paper. Its comments on the news of its college are usually brief, but its presentation of the news is full and fresh."

Mr. Thwing evidently has a high opinion of the average college paper, both as a "mirror of undergraduate sentiment" and as an "admirable training school for professional journalists," while he considers it of great service to the cause of higher education in "promoting inter-collegiate friendship and in exhibiting the methods of instruction and government," at the various colleges. But he also recognizes the dangers to which the college journalist is exposed but considers that they can be avoided by taking proper precautions. But he pays them the highest compliment when, speaking of their moral influence, he says.-"The college paper is therefore, in respect to moral character, usually above than below the level of college sentiment, and its moral influence, therefore, is elevating."