FOOT-BALL.

ANDOVER, 2 GOALS 4 TOUCHDOWNS ; HARVARD, '87, 1 SAFETY.

THE return match with the Yale Freshmen, postponed from Thursday because of the rain, was played last Saturday on the Boston base-ball grounds. On account, doubtless, of the weather, only about three hundred people witnessed the game. Besides the severe cold, the grounds could hardly have been in a worse condition, dry spots being rather the exception than the rule. The game, under the circumstances, naturally failed to be a remarkably brilliant one. The playing of the Yale men, however, had improved noticeably since the match at New Haven. Their determination to win, too, was very apparent, making the game the toughest one we have seen this year. During the first three quarters Yale perhaps had the advantage, although kicking with the sun in their faces. The ball came in turn in dangerous proximity to both goals, and the most interesting features of this half were the capital rushes of Ives and Borie, and De Windt's long kicks. The second half was more exciting, Yale first obtaining a touch-down, which was not allowed, the ball having been passed ahead. Harvard then forced the play to her opponent's goal-line, the ball being kicked behind, which Upham succeeded in touching before any Yale man, and got the only touch-down of the game. No goal was obtained from this touch-down. Yale tried hard during the remaining fifteen minutes to overcome this advantage, but it was too late; Harvard at the close had won by one touch-down, Yale having gained nothing. The teams were respectively : -

YALE. - Fuller, Lamb, Ives, Nixon, Thompson, Durand (rushers); Borie, Travers, Brewster (half-tends); Baron, Captain Merrill (tends).

HARVARD. - Atkinson, Howe, North, Clark, Avery, Captain Upham (rushers); Holden, Thayer, Osborne (half-tends); De Windt, Foster(tends).

Mr. Bigelow, '77, umpired for Yale; Mr. Winsor, '80, for Harvard; Mr. Crehore of the Resolutes acted as referee. Mr. Weaver left the game after the first five minutes on account of illness; Mr. Brewster took his place, and played remarkably well. For Yale, Lamb, Ives, and Borie did the most service, while for Harvard De Windt, Clark, and Atkinson distinguished themselves. A dinner was given the Yale men, after which they left for home on the nine-o'clock train.

C.ON Monday next Mr. Everett finishes his reading of the "greatest effort of human genius," on which occasion it is his pleasure to read the 11th Book.