WHY YALE WINS.

The Record replies to the query in the following suggestive article. "Answers to this question have not been wanting, and some of them have partially accounted for our success. It has been claimed, for instance, that we make use of our crew men, and trust to weight to carry the ball beyond our opponents' goal line. No one doubts that the factor of weight is not to be despised but it is certainly powerless in the game as played today, unless coupled with skill and intelligence. This may at first seem a truism, but those to whom it appears as such, indicate their ignorance of what the last two qualities may be made to signify in foot-ball. And this brings us to our point. We venture to assert that to the average foot-ball player, the scientific possibilities of the game are very vaguely revealed. We believe that we make a more thorough theoretical and practical study of the game than is made at other colleges. A systematic study of the game in all its varying circumstances and contingencies of play is carefully made by both captain and coach. Plans of play are elaborated and discussed with the utmost precision of detail. Every possible manoeuvre of our opponents is considered, and counter-moves are arranged. Thus the captain and the team, prepared for every emergency, are largely relieved from the liability to be taken at a disadvantage. Now the effect of this discipline upon the team itself is to be noticed. Each player, instructed in these details, gains a much keener insight into the game and a familiarity with concerted play, all of which enormously increases his resources and thus renders him doubly effective. Moreover the danger of any demoralizing effect of sudden changes in the play is minimized. The effect of such a system upon the game itself is undoubtedly to strengthen and render it more scientific. As a matter of fact, the rough nature of the game has rather withdrawn attention from the fineness of its details and the perfection to which preconcerted manoeuvres can be carried. We are confident that our success is attributable largely to the superiority of our team in these respects."