A HALF CENTURY.

Three of Harvard's Senior Professors.

It is an interesting fact that Professors Bowen, Lovering and Torrey, who are now at the head of their respective departments of Philosophy, Physics and History, are all graduates of the class of 1833. Professor Bowen graduated with the first honors of his class, and after leaving college returned to Exeter, where he had prepared, and remained there for two years as instructor in Mathematics. In the middle of the year 1835 he came back to the college, and, after serving as a tutor in Greek for a single year, was appointed instructor of the senior class in Mental Philosophy and Political Economy. In August, 1839, resigning his office in the college, he went to Europe and spent a year in study and travel. On his return he took up his residence in Cambridge and for twelve years devoted himself to literature, becoming the proprietor of the North American Review in 1843, which he owned and edited for more than ten years. In 1850 Mr. Bowen returned to the college under an appointment to the McLean Professorship of History, but held the office only six months. Three years later he was made Alford Professor of Natural Religion, Moral Philosophy and Civil Polity, the office which he now holds.

Professor Bowen's work has been mainly upon philosophical subjects, although he has written and edited many historical and economic works which have given him a wide reputation in these departments. His book, entitled "American Political Economy," which was published in 1870, is perhaps the best theoretical exposition of the doctrine of protection that has ever been presented. While he was a lecturer in Political Economy he was always a staunch supporter of protection to American industries. Professor Bowen now confines himself to Philosophy, and the popularity of his courses attest his success and the esteem in which he is held by the students.

Professor Joseph Lovering entered college as a sophomore in 1830 and graduated fourth in the class of 1833. He then entered the Divinity School. His connection with the college as an instructor began in 1836 when he became tutor in Mathematics and Natural Philosophy, holding the position until 1838, when he, was appointed to the Holllis Professorship of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy. Professor Lovering has held this position ever since, and has been for many years a member of the American Philosophical Society and the National Academy of Science. From 1867 to 1876 he was connected with the United States Coast Survey.

Professor Torrey, after graduating, spent four months in teaching. He then studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1840, but at once returned to teaching. He was tutor at Harvard during the years 1844-1848, and was made McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History in 1856. Professor Torrey has rendered valuable service to the historical department, and will be remembered by graduates as being the first instructor in History to renounce the old-fashioned system of recitations in favor of lectures. He also had much to do with originating the system of reserved books at the library, the advantages of which can hardly be overestimated. Professor Torrey has now two advanced courses in History which are taken mainly by seniors.