The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

No Headline

It is to be hoped that the Conference Committee will soon be able to effect some arrangement whereby the present system of examination will be modified. Under the present regime, there seems to be and possibly there can be, no uniformity of method in preparing examination papers. Some instructors give short papers with few questions and expect to have each question pretty thoroughly discussed. Other instructors give long papers with numerous questions. The answers to such questions must necessarily be brief; owing to their brevity they are liable to be faulty, even with the most careful student, and it is not likely that they are ever entirely satisfactory. The objection to long papers holds good especially when the questions are of a theoretical nature; questions of fact are more easily answered in a concise way. Again, even if the short and long papers were equally easy to answer, the fact that they are got up on different plans makes them grievously confusing to the student. Each instructor, of course, understands his own system, but the students can not be expected to do as much.