COALS OF FIRE.

The seniors at Hillsdale College, Michigan, wished to go off on a sleighride, but the faculty, for no apparent cause, objected and interposed, forbidding the expedition. The seniors nevertheless took their ride, and the faculty thereupon extended their leave of absence indefinitely, - in other words suspended the entire class. The other college classes then held several indignation meetings, in which they expressed themselves as determined to see that the seniors received justice at the hands of the faculty. They instructed their committees to notify the seniors that unless the faculty reinstated them soon on reasonable terms they would withdraw from the institution. The seniors, feeling that this meant utter ruin to the institution, whose interest they have at heart, decided if possible to overlook the wrongs which they have received at the hands of the faculty, and make amends for their act of disobedience by submitting the following apology under protest, all of which seems to redound far more to the credit of the seniors than of the faculty: "We the undersigned members of the senior class, while we feel that our request was a reasonable one, and while we deny the charge of willful combination, yet feeling a deep interest in the welfare of the college, and because on account of the very determined stand taken by the other college classes the affair has assumed such unexpected proportions as to seriously menace the welfare of the institution, since we recognize that obedience to constituted authority is essential to the existence of any institution, and since this affair can only be settled by some concession on our part. we willingly concede the following: That, since as a class we have been and intend to be law-abiding students, we regret the act of disobedience and apologize for it.