THE IMPORTANCE OF REST.

Dr. Sargent discussed yesterday the question of the importance of rest and sleep for men in training and for students. A distinction should be made, said the lecturer, between rest and what is usually called sleep. Rest may be termed a local sleep. Recreation, in the sense of "building anew," is rest. So often a mere change in local condition is better for a man than complete rest or sleep; a change of activity is in itself rest. The Indians when tired of walking rest themselves by running. This principle is too often disregarded by students and by men who are training for any particular object. Boating men many times fail to recognize the importance of general training but think their whole duty lies in the direct exercise of rowing or in absolute rest. The value of indirect training is not to be over-estimated. It is noticeable that men, who do not devote themselves exclusively to one branch of training but aim at a general physical development, often excel in their own specialties men who only train for one branch of athletics. The best examples of such facts, said Dr. Sargent, were to be seen in the superior physical condition of the men now in training for the general excellence prize. The same rule holds good in matters of the intellect. Variety of studies is an excellent thing. A man who devotes himself to only one or two subjects can hardly be said to be worthy of a college degree.

As to the matter of sleeplessness : muscular exertion, if not excessive, induces sleep. Thus it is often a good plan for men troubled with sleeplessness to exercise in the evening before retiring. Men should be warned against the use of drugs to cure sleeplessness. The sleep thereby induced is not a genuine sleep. After any violent or unusual exercise a warm bath is to be highly recommended before retiring. The practice of bathing the feet alone is a doubtful one, however. It is, in general, best not to be dependent upon any artificial condition to secure sleep. One should aim for a complete mastery over himself in such matters, so that he can command sleep at will and thus economize time and force. By such a course the usual average of his sleep can be reduced to 7 or 6 1/2 hours with safety. The habit of reading one's self to sleep is to be deprecated, since it may become a troublesome one and interfere sadly with serious study. It is doubtful whether the sleep gained before twelve o'clock is of any more value than that afterwards. The conditions favorable to sleep then are not usually so many.