AN ENGLISHMAN'S IMPRESSION OF HARVARD.

Mr. J. Fox Turner, a gentleman of Manchester, England, recently made a flying trip to this country, and, on his return, published a book containing his impressions of the trip, called "Three Weeks in America." Following are his ideas on Harvard:

Some of us being anxious to see Harvard College, or the group of buildings going generally under that name at Cambridge, and others of us to get to Longfellow's house and garden, we chartered a carriage and took Harvard first, pulling up at the handsome pile called the Harvard Memorial Hall, in the beautiful and lofty transept of which a multitude of tablets commemorate the names of the gallant graduates of Harvard who fell twenty years ago in the civil war. In the same building is a magnificent dining hall, decorated with portraits and busts of eminent Americans, and, as it was near luncheon time, we thought we would wait to see whether the American student played as good a knife and fork as our own Cambridge boys at home; and how the two groups compared as respects their physical development. It is but a tame business for an onlooker to watch a student in his rooms dipping his beak into the Pierian spring and then throwing his head back, like a bird, to let the learning get down - because the onlooker can make little of the observation. But when the same student leaves his tomes and is placed alongside some roasted joints and college-baked bread, the onlooker can draw his conclusions, and even long - as we did that morning - to join in the grateful pursuit. The dining hall in question will admit of six hundred students all thirsting for knowledge, eating roast beef at the same time. There is a gallery at one end of the hall for carious strangers to survey the wondrous plan; but we got so hungry with watching these youngsters that we did not remain long. Possibly the stealthy creep of prejudice over our judgments may have been the cause of our verdict; but we certainly arrived at the conclusion that our English boys at "Trinity" and "Jesus," in the fenlands of the old country, would, at least in physical appearance, lose nothing alongside those of Harvard College. We did not at Harvard look out for "Jesus" giants, nor even for some of those thin-flanked "long-stops," which, at a 'Varsity show - should such a show be possible - might be trotted out. We took the young Americans, man for man, and our verdict was that which we have described. But, nevertheless, the latter, in sheer, intellectual force, may probably give the "Jesus" giants seventy-five in one hundred and beat them, especially when we remember that the curriculum now at an English university is athletic sports, and the rest nowhere, and that consequently the breadth across the chest is perhaps of more consequence than across the forehead.