OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE.

EDITORS HARVARD HERALD: It was a pleasure to see in your issue of the 3d instant an article which, on the whole, gave concisely much interesting and useful information about the "English Universities," a subject respecting which many of your readers would probably be glad to gain fuller knowledge. It would certainly tend to promote feelings at once of friendship and of a generous emulation between the leading universities of New and Old England. With your permission I would venture to suggest two or three points in which the article referred to is somewhat in error. There are twenty-three "colleges" at Oxford and four "halls," which latter are not "corporate" bodies, nor have they endowments for fellows, nor, with a trifling exception, scholarships; while if they have or acquire property it is held in trust for them by the university. Students in these halls, generally older men than those at the colleges, live under the same discipline and pass to their degrees in the same way as others, being, of course, subject to all the laws of the university.

The examinations, which all must pass before examiners chosen by the university, are three: (1) "Responsions," which is really equivalent to a university entrance examination in addition to, and as distinguished from, the entrance examination of each college. (2) "Moderations," or first public examination, divided into the "honor" and the "pass" classes, and corresponding with the "little go" at Cambridge; and (3) the "second public examination," also divided into "honor" and "pass."

But besides these university examinations, each college has its own yearly examinations, in addition to others for scholarships and prizes; and the student must give reasonable satisfaction in these yearly examinations, or, failing to do so, be subject first, to admonition by the dean, and, should that be insufficient, to "being sent down" for a longer or shorter time.

As to the "expense of living," that is a matter which largely depends on the students' good sense and taste. But I can state from personal knowledge that at the present time and for many years past a large body of the best and most respected young men at Oxford and Cambridge - sons, for the most part, of gentlemen of fair standing and property - meet all their university expenses, public and private, with a sum not exceeding L150 sterling, or about $750. I do not think this is much higher than the cost at Harvard. Certainly many young friends of mine, who are not deemed extravagant, spend considerably more.

Though the writer is an English university man, he heartily concurs with you in thinking that the majority of American students, whose life-career is to be passed in their own country, will find many and good reasons for preferring his own Alma Mater.

Yours obediently, E. R. H.BOSTON, March 5, 1883.