THE COLLEGE LEAGUE.

Prospects for the Coming Season.

The college base-ball season has fairly set in. Most of the nines have been selected and a few practice games have been played, so that it is possible to get some idea of the prospects for the coming season.

AMHERST.The Amherst nine will be made up almost entirely of old players. The captain is Taylor, who is an admirable second base player and a strong batter. The only important position that will have to be filled by a new man is that of catcher, Savage, last year's catcher, having graduated. The following named men from last year's nine will probably play: Taylor, 2b.; Arnd, l.f.; Hunt, 3b.; Gardner, s. s.; Hamlin, 1b.; Buffum, r.f.; Boyden, c. f.; Harris, p. The men have been coached during the winter by Keefe who thinks that the nine will be strong in fielding but weak in batting. Amherst always turns out a plucky nine that plays for all it is worth, and, from present appearances, this year will prove no exception to the rule.

BROWN.The Brown nine began out-door practice April 2. They played with the Providence nine Tuesday and were beaten by a score of 19 to 2. Thursday they were again beaten by a score of 14 to 0. Other games have been arranged with the Providence nine for April 17 and 19, and with the Beacons for April 21. Greene is captain and will occupy catcher's position, giving up his place at third to Bassett, last year's catcher. This exchange of places will prove advantageous, for, though Greene is an excellent catcher, his play at third is erratic, while Bassett may be depended on to play a steady though not a brilliant game. Smith will pitch again this year and has a good substitute in Gunderson. The old players on the nine, besides those mentioned, are Chase, 1b.; Durfee, r.f.; Shedd, s.s., and Doren, c.f. Second base and left-field will be filled by new men. The nine is an exceptionally strong batting team and the battery is strong. In regard to the improvements which are being made in the ball field, our correspondent says: "We intend to swing the diamond around toward the right, giving about forty feet additional room in left field but making right field somewhat rough. Ultimately we intend to level the entire field."

PRINCETON.The candidates for the nine commenced work in the gymnasium at the beginning of the term, going through the regular club exercises under Mr. Goldie, and afterwards taking some practice in throwing in limited quarters. There have been more men trying this year than ever before, the number being at first thirty-five, but about twenty-seven men have worked more or less regularly during the entire winter. Out-door work commenced on March 15th, and has continued regularly with the exception of two or three days when there was snow on the ground.

Concerning the prospects of the nine, our correspondent says: "Our prospects for this year, considered very good at first by base-ball men, were somewhat dimmed by the laws lately passed by the faculty forbidding the nine to play against professionals. This affects Princeton more seriously than Harvard, for the reason that there are no amateur nines here, and the leave of absence, which was lately cut down to four days is entirely consumed by college games, thus making it impossible to meet the amateur nines of New York and Philadelphia on their grounds. The alumni of New York, however, have organized a nine to give them practice, and a consolidated nine is being formed. A game was played last week with the Philadelphia (amateur) Club, resulting in a score of 3 to 1. The nine is made up as follows: J. M. Harlan, c.; Moffat, p.; Edwards, 1b.; Antrim, 2b.; J. S. Harlan, 3b.; Wilson, s.s.; Clark, l.f.; Wadleigh, c.f.; Shaw, r.f.; Edwards and Shaw change battery. It will be seen that four places were left vacant at the end of last year - catcher's and pitcher's positions, first base and second base. Harlan, who takes Schenck's place, has been substitute catcher for two years, and may be depended on to make good the loss of the veteran. Antrim played a few games at second last year in the absence of Rafferty. The most serious loss to the nine will probably be that of Ernst, although Moffat, who was change pitcher last year, is said to be exciting admiration. J. S. Harlan has the reputation of being the best third base player in the college association, and Wadleigh is a reliable fielder and a heavy batter.

YALE.The Yale nine is thought to be weaker than last year, as it has lost the services of Hopkins, Badger, Platt, Smith and Wilcox. Jones will pitch again and will be supported by Hubbard behind the bat. The change pitcher will be Booth, who pitched in the freshman nine year before last and who was thought at that time to be a phenomenon. Souther, '84, will be change catcher. Hopkins' placeat first will be taken by Childs, '83, while Camp goes from short to second, leaving his old place to Griggs, '83, an excellent short-stop and a heavy batter who would have occupied the position last year if he had been in college. Noye, '85, who played such a superior game on his freshman nine has filled short-stop's position in the games thus far played. Slocum, who was successful as the third base of the '83 freshman nine will cover third. Hopkins will play left field again, with Souther for centre, and probably Lyon for right. The first game was April 7, with the Athletics of Philadelphia, and Yale was beaten by a score of 12 to 0. The fielding of the nines was about equal, but the Athletics won by heavy batting. On the whole the prospects for a close and exciting contest for the champion ship are excellent. The nines appear to be more evenly matched than ever before From the reports that have reached us up to the present time, it would seem that chances favor Princeton and Brown. Amherst does not expect to win the championship but hopes to make a good showing. Yale's chances would seem to be poorer than last year, though it is of course too early to tell with any degree of certainty. The feeling at all the colleges seems to be that expressed by our Brown correspondent, "We cannot prophecy but we can hope."