THE CLASS RACES.

Prospects for the Race - Composition of the Crews.

ON Saturday, May 30, the Class Races came off over the usual Charles River course, and when we compare them with former years there seems to be no reason to feel discouraged at the issue. There was a noticeable want of training in one or two crews, but this was due to ill-luck in forming the crew rather than a want of work. The Freshman crew especially labored under disadvantages, having lost one of its best men to go in the "University," and then, with several men unable to row from some reason or other, they could not present the six who did such hard work in the Gymnasium during the winter. Nevertheless, although discouraged, they pluckily did not give up, and answered the call for the race with a crew which had rowed together but a few times. And, considering this fact, they did fairly. The Sophomore crew deserves especial mention, not only as the winning crew, but on account of the regularity with which their stroke was set. And it only demonstrated the superiority of the steady swing in a long race. The steadiness with which the stroke kept at his work was much to be praised, and we are glad to see that this idea of the proper stroke is gaining ground here. The waist men of this crew were a little unsteady as regards swinging, some coming back too far, and others not enough; but the prevailing fault was a tendency to settle, and not quite enough catch at the beginning of the stroke; nevertheless, their time stands as a record of some fair rowing.

The Scientific crew, which has worked hard all winter and spring, would undoubtedly have made a much better show if their No. 5 had not the misfortune to slip the button of his oar beyond the rowlock, which of course necessitated their stopping at a time of vital importance to them, and when their position near the stake was wrested from them. Yet as soon as possible they started again, and almost recovered the whole ground lost by the end of the race, coming in a good second.

There was a great tendency in this crew to settle, and when a person looked at them broadside he could see that they went back almost as far as they went forward. This we consider one of the greatest enemies to the rowing of the college, and one hard to overcome; but if a crew wish to do well, they must be perfect in their swinging together. Again, the manipulation of their oars was very loose; there was a slovenly habit of letting the oar drag on the water, and this made a very bad appearance from the splashing which arose.

The University started with the crews in their barge without coxswain and with their usual practice stroke. This they kept up steadily throughout the race, coming in first by 52 seconds. The show for second crews was rather poor, the Juniors rowing in a shell against the Sophomores in a barge with coxswain, giving the latter one minute's allowance. The issue proved that this was none too much, the Juniors winning by a long distance, with a few seconds to spare.

A new feature was a single-scull race, distance two miles, between Mr. P. Dana and Mr. F. S. Stone. When the word was given Stone was a little slow in catching the water, and Dana had a good half-length before he got fully under way. Nevertheless, he rowed pluckily with short quick strokes, but was unable to overtake Dana, who was pulling a long swinging stroke, and who came in the winner by 16 minutes, the time showing an easy race.

We take advantage here to thank the Union Boat Club for the hospitality shown our crews, and also their friends, and hope the time may come when we shall be able to return their politeness in some degree.

The old story is about to be repeated, - the "University Crew" need ready money; and as the outstanding subscriptions are almost sufficient to carry the crew through training, we take the opportunity here offered to remind the men that they would further the interest of rowing, and the prospect for the coming year, if they would call at the Treasurer's room, No. 14 Little's Block, and at once pay the amount of their subscriptions. Appended is a list of the crews and the time:-

First Crew, Riggs (stroke), W. P. Richards, Bolan, Brown, Green, Weld (bow). Time, 21m 58.

Second Crew, James (stroke), Perkins, Thayer, Irving, Denton, Bancroft Davis. Time, 21m 13 1/28.

Third Crew, Harriman (stroke), Martin, Parsons, Patton, Harwood, Wyley (bow). Time, 22m 408.

Single Scull, Dana in 16m. Stone in 16m 308The University crew rowed over the course in a barge in 20m 15 1/28COPIES of Vol. I. No. I. of the Magenta wanted. Persons willing to dispose of copies of this number at a fair price can do so by applying at Little's Block, 19.