YALE ATHLETICS.

[FROM OUR REGULAR CORRESPONDENT.]

The spring meeting of the Athletic Association was held on Saturday last. The event had been looked forward to with quite a degree of interest, on account of its affording some ground for judgment as to our prospects at the Polo Grounds next Saturday. It was unfortunate that the date conflicted with that set for the Harvard-Yale freshman game, as the attention of the spectators could not be given to both at the same time. However, as can be seen from the reports, the games may be said to have been very successful. The presence of a trainer is a new thing at Yale, and, of course, the first season cannot work very great results. Mr. Dole has done very faithful work with his men and we hope to make a creditable showing at the inter-collegiate games. To speak definitely of the men and the work they have done, Brooks is our strongest man. He has tried the quarter-mile run this year for the first time and his record of 50 2-5 seconds shows well his ability. It is unfortunate that he happens to be our fastest sprinter in the short distances, as he will in all probability be unable to run in more than two events at the Polo Grounds.

It is as yet undecided whether these will be the 100 yards dash and the quarter-mile run or the 100 and 220 yards dashes. Smith is a fine man at the quarter, and will doubtless be a candidate at the inter-collegiate games for that event. In the half mile, Yale has lost Kirkham who was her representative last year at Mott Haven. Halsay will go in his place. He was successful in breaking the Yale record on Saturday in 2m. 6 1/4 sec. In the mile run Carr will enter as our representative. In both the half and quarter mile races we can at best expect but second prizes. It was expected for some time we should enter Rudington for the hurdle race, but he will be unable to go on account of sickness. Hamilton and Maxwell are both good bicycle-riders, and one, and perhaps both, will go to the Polo Grounds. Hamilton's record of Saturday was very encouraging. Aside from these events, Yale will have no entries. It will be seen from what has been said in regard to the above men, that some of our material is excellent, while the greater portion is only fair. Our only hope for the championship could be in Harvard, Columbia and Princeton, dividing first prizes pretty evenly, and thus making three or possibly four events tie the leaders. Even in that case the small number of our entries would doubtless hinder us from capturing enough second prizes to win. Therefore it is with no expectation, and but little hope, that we shall send our team to the inter-collegiate games this year. Another year of like improvement may change the aspect of our chances.