INTER-COLLEGIATE TENNIS TOURNAMENT.

The tennis tournament at Hartford resulted in a victory for Harvard in both doubles and singles, the college winning every contest. Clark, '83, defeated the champions of Yale, Amherst,

Trinity and Brown with ease, while the doubles also were easily won by Messrs. Clark and Taylor, with the exception of a little sharp work with Brown. Neither of our representatives were up to the mark in the doubles, though Clark played well in the single tournament. Our rackets style of play seemed quite different from that of the other colleges, which seemed to be astonished at our placing and "head work." They also play too slow a game to do well, with the exception of Brown. Yale got second place in the singles, Brown, Amherst and Trinity following in the order named. The order of the doubles was Harvard, Brown, Yale, Trinity and Amherst. Every one was very pleasantly entertained at Hartford.

The next tournament is to be held Oct. 9, 1883, at Hartford, and each year after that on or about the same day. It will be a drop-out tournament, two single representatives and one pair being allowed from each college. Men beaten by the winner will play for second place. Five colleges were represented yesterday, and Princeton, Columbia, Williams and the University of Pennsylvania are to be invited to join the association. All that is needed to make it a success are two challenge cups for singles and doubles; but these cannot be had at present, unless provided by the liberality of some one interested in the game. Next year probably no challenge cups will be provided, and there seemed to be no prizes this spring. However, the meeting was very successful, and the association seems to be on a firm footing. The executive committee of Harvard will in future appoint our representatives.