THE YALE RACE.

A PROCESSION FOR HARVARD.

The eighth annual boat race between Yale and Harvard University eights, rowed at New London on June 28th, resulted in a crushing defeat for Yale, who received at the hands of the Harvard crew one of the worst beats on record, the crimson leading the blue at the finish by over three hundred yards. As usual, New London was crowded with representatives of both colleges, those from New Haven being largely in the majority. The majority of the betting men seemed to agree with Jasper Goodwin, the coach of the Columbia crew, in the conviction that "there is no living against such a gait as Yale has exhibited at times since she has been here," and the odds offered were largely in favor of the blue. The arrangements for the race were complete in every respect, and promptly at 5.41 P. M. the referee gave the signal for starting. The difference in the style of the two crews was at once noticeable. Yale's short, jerky strokes, 44 to the minute, pulls her quickly to the front, but Harvard keeps on with her long powerful stroke, pulling at first 42 to the minute, soon dropping to 38. By the time the crews have reached the quarter mile flag, Yale is almost a length ahead. This, however, is the best showing she makes during the race. Almost immediately after entering the second quarter, Harvard's long stroke commenced to tell, and foot by foot the crimson began to regain the lost ground, until at the half mile flag Yale was barely a quarter of a length ahead. Yale passed the ball mile in 3:04. In the third quarter Harvard made up all she had lost and began to lead Yale until at the end of the first mile there was a clear boat's length of water between Harvard's rudder and Yale's bow. The fact that Harvard never quickened her stroke from the point when Yale was a length ahead to the point when Yale was a length behind tells the whole story. There was no spurt; it was simply the long, powerful swing of Harvard's eight, vanquishing the short jerks of the Yale crew. The mile was made by Harvard in 6 minutes, 2 seconds and by Yale in 6 minutes, 5 seconds. From this point the race, as a race, lost all interest. It bad simply degenerated into a procession in which the only question was the severity of the defeat to be administered to Yale. The Yale launch even ceased to regard the rules of the course, but kept close to her crew, endeavoring to incite her men to greater exertions.

At the mile and a half flag Harvard was ahead over four lengths, passing the stake in 9 minutes, 12 seconds, with Yale 18 seconds to the rear. In the next half mile Harvard added three lengths more to her lead, and passed the two-mile stake in 12 minutes, 30 seconds, just 34 seconds ahead of Yale. Harvard still rowed 37 strokes, while Yale had dropped to 41. From this point it was almost impossible to distinguish the features of the Harvard men from the boats. The two mile and a half stake was passed by Harvard in 16 minutes, 5 seconds and by Yale in 16 minutes, 54 seconds. Harvard made the three miles in 19 minutes, 24 seconds, Yale in 20 minutes, 35 seconds. At the three-mile and a half flag the times were 22 minutes, 23 seconds and 23 minutes, 35 seconds. The Harvard crew was now saluted by the steamer's whistles, lying near the finish, and by guns from the shipping and the shore, and crossed the line almost a quarter of a mile ahead of Yale, with a lead estimated from eighteen to twenty-three lengths. There was some dispute about the time, the time-keepers disagreeing. The time as finally announced was-Harvard 25 minutes 46 1-2 seconds, Yale 27 minutes 1 second.

AFTER THE RACE.In the evening the victory was celebrated by a procession of the Harvard students. Mr. Brandegee, '81, in company with Mr. C. P. Curtis, '83, and Mr. R. M. Appleton, '84, who acted as marshals, arranged the procession. The students were preceded by a band and a wagon of fire works which were passed back as rapidly as the men could fire them off. A large number of the men were supplied with tin horns and red flags, besides being completely dressed in red. After marching all over the town of New London and going through various semi-military evolutions the procession halted in front of the office of Governor Waller, and after a "three times three" for the governor of Connecticut, listened to a speech which was frequently interrupted by cheers. After complimenting Harvard on her victory, and referring to Gov. Butler, Gov. Waller said: "It is a newspaper story, and so it cannot be true, that one of your distinguished statesmen said if a certain political event happened he should abandon the State; but the unexpected happened and he still remains in the rhapsody of after dinner oratory. I was yesterday misled by his example to say that in case of a certain athletic event I should want to leave the banks of the river on which it should happen; but like the statesman of Massachusetts I have changed my mind. I shall stay by this river until Yale is Victorians, even if I remain a thousand and one years to come-and I fear that if Yale does not change that unfortunate stroke I shall be waiting here until the odd year arrives." After expressing the hope that the Harvard men would not paint the whole town red, the governor retired amid the cheers of the crowd.