YALE'S PROSPECTS FOR 1884.

From recent New Haven advices we have learned further particulars in regard to the Yale crew and its prospects for 1884. The names of the various candidates from which the crew will be taken has been published hitherto. As is well known the famous "yank" of 1882 and 83, has been discarded and in its place the old stroke of eleven years ago, introduced from England by Bob Cook, which won Yale the race at Longmeadow in 1873, has been revived under his careful supervision. Mr. Cook is amply satisfied with the material at hand and expects them to win the race next June when they shall have become fully practised in his method of rowing. Much interest and enthusiasm is shown by the men. Several of them during the Christmas recess visited Philadelphia, the home of Captain Cook, trying hard, under his personal instruction, to forget the disastrous stroke used last year. Part of the plan to overcome the old fault has been to make the crews row on stationary seats to rid them of the overlong slides necessary before this change to the '73 stroke. These stationary seats have now given place to short slides and long heavy oars. Two or three times each week the crew met at the boathouse or on the campus and take long runs into the country. These runs are usually about six miles in length and are made without stopping. The staying powers and strength of the men has been much improved by these extra long runs. The food at their training table is not very liberal, being confined to such as is calculated to produce only bone and muscle.

Of the new men, Patten, '86, who has never rowed on a crew before, is spoken of as quite promising. He is very strong and already handles his oar in unusually good form for a beginner. If Hyndman, of last year's crew can be induced to row he will probably induce Parrot also to take a seat in the boat with him, thus making four old 'varsity men in crew of 1884. Taking everything together, Yale will, in all probability, present a fine crew on the Thames next June.