A REMARKABLE THEME.

One sophomore theme bears the appearance of a gift to the college of 410,000, as a foundation for a "Sophomore General Prize," to be awarded yearly to some member of the sophomore class for the highest average excellence in seven several points. These points are: 1. Marks for the elective work of the sophomore year. 2. Amount of elective courses in which 60 per ct. has been received. 3. English composition, to be decided by the marks in sophomore themes. 4. Physical development, to be decided on the basis of improvement from the time of entering college. 5. Athletics, to be decided by vote of sophomore class. 6. Debate, to be decided by vote of the Harvard Union. 7. Services in the religious societies of the college, to be decided by joint vote of those societies.

It is to be regretted that the document is dated twenty-six years ahead, which gives rise to a degree of uncertainty as to the ultimate establishment of the prize. The influence of such a prize would doubtless be very beneficial. Its value ($400, or $500.) would make it an object worth striving for, aside from the honor of winning such a prize, Every student who excelled in a single one of the seven points would have reason to become a candidate, and would be led to do the best he could in the other six branches. The tendency of this competition would be to correct the undue estimate now placed on college rank; to turn the attention of the students to the impartial development of all their powers.

L.