Seratch Races.

The boat club is to be congratulated for the complete success of the races on Saturday. The only disturbing element was a strong west wind, which made it very difficult for the long eight-oared barges to get into position without buoys, The four senior eights started off fairly well together, and dashed by the boat-house at a great rate. The crews were well matched. As they spurted along, side by side, with the oars rising and falling in measured stroke and with great regularity, they formed a very pretty sight, which was enjoyed by hundreds of spectators from the boat house and the river banks. These crews, except a stroke oarsman for each eight, had been drawn by lot. By a strange chance, each of three of the crews was composed mostly of men from a single class, so that they were called the '85, '86, and '87 crews respectively. The '87 crew won by about a fourth of a boat length, in 1 min. 15 3-4 secs., followed by '85, while the '86 crew, coming in fourth, kept the position it took last May in the class races. The bow of the winning boat was stove against a stone pier at the finish, due either to the boat's momentum or the coxswain's elation over victory, and consequent carelessness. The rowing of Mumford, '87, stroke of this crew, won universal praise. The winners were: bow, Parker, '86; Dewey, '86; Brooks, '87; Rantoul, '87; Fisk, '87; Baum, 87; Burgess, '86; Mumford, '87, stroke; Oakes, '87, coxswain

The four-oared race had to be rowed in two heats, as there were but two boats for three crews. The first heat was easily won by the DAILY CRIMSON crew, in 1 min. 39 secs. over the Signet four. The bow oarsman of the Signets broke his seat when half way down the course, but kept on pluckily to the finish. The final heat was between the Crimson crew and a big four of '85 men. The latter crew became somewhat "balled up" in front of the boathouse, but recovered and pressed closely after their rivals. The Crimson crew finished their second and winning heat a half length ahead, and then had wind enough left to indulge in an ear-splitting Indian yell called the "Crimson cheer." In the crew were Frye, '86, bow; Storrow, '87; Morrison, '87; Williams, '85, stroke; and Perkins, '87, coxswain. In the singles, Cabot, '86, rowing a long, sweeping stroke, won by about a length, in 1 min. 34 secs., with Harris, '86, second, and Brown, '86, third.

Three freshmen eights started out and excited considerable mirth among the spectators by their perfect indifference to time or orders from the coxswains. To many, probably from their familiarity with horse races, "let her run" evidently meant "go it hard," so they jerked at the oars desperately until the coxswain, screaming "stop, stop," at the top of his voice, checked their impetuosity. The race was won by the following crew in 1 min. 21 3-4 secs.: Warren, Cabot, Hallowell, Hald, Griffin, goodhue, Homans, and Funnan; coxswain, Baldwin, '86. The officers of the race were: starter, C. P. Curtis, jr., L. S.; judges at finish, L. E. Sexton; L. S. and R. L. McCook, '85; timekeeper, W. R. Wilson, '86.