A New Sparring Master for Harvard.

At the last meeting of the Athletic Committee of the faculty they decided to fill the position of sparring master at the gymnasium by appointing E. J. Ferris, the well-known teacher of the manly art, to take the place made vacant by J. E. Mellen, who left Cambridge about nine months ago to take charge of a gymnasium in Rochester, N. Y. The matter has been under consideration for some time and it was not without careful investigation that the committee decided to give the place to Mr. Ferris, the successful one of several candidates for the position. Mr. Ferris is 23 years old, and is well known in Cambridge, which is his permanent home. He has been engaged in teaching sparring to the students and others during the last five years. He has met with considerable success. His pupils have taken 18 cups and medals in the different athletic games held in this vicinity. Among them are several Harvard men who were prominent figures at each of the winter meetings. McCall, '81, Heilbron, '83, the celebrated feather-weight, Baxter, '83, Page, '83, Sutton, '85, Colony, '85, Woodbury, '86, and Blodgett ; '87, are all well known as ready sparkers. The latter two won prizes last year at the Technology games. Mr. Ferris will train during the coming winter a number of men for the winter meetings of the H. A. A., for the Union Athletic games and the sports of the New York Athletic Club. For the latter, the men are Page, Baxter, Heilbron and O. G. Smith.