The Harvard Union Canvass.

The leading motive of the Union in undertaking a canvass was to place on record the standing of the students on this great political question of the day. A secondary motive was to ascertain which party torchlight procession, the majority of the students favored.

For many years it has been the custom of the students of the college at every presidential election, to give vent to their political feelings by forming a college battalion and marching in one of the great presidential processions of Boston.

Formerly there has been great unanimity among the students, but the Independent movement of this year makes it somewhat difficult to see at once which side the majority favor.

In order to arrive at a fair conclusion it is necessary that this Vanessa be as thorough as possible. Also it is very urgent that it be completed at once.

The members of the committee realizing this have pushed the work forward as rapidly as they were able, but still there are many men in the lower classes and others rooming outside of the yard that have not as yet been reached.

In order to expedite matters, the committee have procured 21 Thayer, south entry, and will be there today from 10 A. M. to 3 P. M. to receive the ballots of all those men, connected with any department of the college, who have not been personally visited by the canvassers.

It is very important that every member of the college express his opinion on this subject, and all are strongly urged to come forward and be counted.

(Signed) The Canvassing Committee