The Trinity Game.

The Trinity men appeared yesterday afternoon almost contrary to expectation and game was called at eighteen minutes of four. The weather was raw and blustering and only a few men turned out to see the match. Harvard lost the toss and Trinity took the east end of the field. The ball was hardly put in play when rushes by our men carried the ball to the end of the field and Thayer made the first touchdown. The ball was poorly punted out and Peabody was unable to secure it. Willard soon made another rust and the ball was carried over the line by Gilman who thus made the score 8 to 0. No goal was kicked as the referee allowed a claim that Peabody's hand was off side when Kimball kicked the ball. Gilman got the ball again after it was brought out and made touchdown number three, but no goal was scored. Instead the ball was soon in the possession of our rushers and being passed back to Kimball he kicked a goal from the field. Trinity played very weakly at this period of the match and the ball remained almost constantly in the hands of our eleven. Trinity players only touched the ball and thus put the Harvard team on side and then the latter would grab is and rush for the touchline. After Kimball's goal the next successful man was Gilman, who made a touchdown after Willard had made a fine rush and passed the ball to him. A goal was kicked making the score 23 to 0. Beautiful passing by Kimball and Gilman and rushes by Willard, Simpkins and Keith enabled the two latter to make touchdowns from which goals were scored. Two more touchdowns were made before time was up, Kimball and Bemis doing the work. From the second a goal was kicked and this ended the score for that half at 45 to 0. The inning lasted 35 minutes.

The second time that the men went to work a change was noticeable. Trinity played with more life and not without skill. Harvard, grown careless by reason of the ease with which they had all their own way in the first inning, often fumbled, blocked poorly and allowed the Trinity men to get the ball in their possession too much. The first few minutes Phillips and Simpkins did all the work for Harvard and a touchdown resulted from the latter's brilliant dash across the line. No goal. Bemis then attempted to make a pass to Simpkins but a Trinity man who made a pretty rush secured the ball. This was followed by a second and third rush of the Trinity men who slipped through openings in the rush line and were thus enabled to carry the ball within a foot of our goal line. Here a fierce fight ensued and by careful blocking, Harvard prevented Trinity from gaining ground. Winslow got the ball at the third down and the ball soon went up the field to stay. Gilman, Phillips and Willard each made a touchdown but the attempts at goal were futile. The ball was then passed by Bemis to Kimball, the latter made a fine rush evading all the Trinity men and scoring a touchdown. Bemis kicked a goal and this made the score 22 to 0 for the second inning. As it was rather dark the referee called the game a few minutes before the time fixed to stop.

The passing of our men was at times brilliant and at other times careless. The men followed the ball well and were almost always there, an improvement over former days. Little tackling was done as the Trinity men seldom had the ball. In the second inning Keith broke his nose and his place was taken by Homans. The teams were : Trinity-Rushers, Miller, (capt.) Rodgers, Child, Cameron, Hurd, Hayes, - ; quarterback, Thorne; halfbacks, Barber and Lobdell; full back, Miel. Harvard-Rushers, Simpkins, Phillips, Brooks, Winslow, Gilman, Thayer, Keith ; quarterback, Bemis : halfbacks, Kimball and Willard; fullback, Peabody. Referee, T. H. Cabot, '86. Umpire for Harvard, George Adams, '86.