Foot Ball.

The foot ball squad have been at work for a week now, and are getting well into shape for hard work. Practice last week consisted simply in passing the ball and taking short runs, to get the men in condition, and on Monday the men lined up for the first time.

Yesterday the elevens were composed as follows, except for a few slight changes made during the play:

First eleven - Phelan '95, full-back; Lake '92 and Gage '94, full-backs; Burgess '93. quarter-back; Hallowell '93, right end; Newell '94, right tackle; Rantoul '92, right guard; Grant '95, center; Vail '93, left guard; Shea '94, left tackle, and Miller '93, left end.

Second eleven - Hodgkins '95, full-back; White '92 and Bisbee '93, halves; Cobb '94, quarter; the line, beginning at the right end: Curtis '92 Beals '94, Saltonstall '94, Steedman '92, Manning '95, Emmons '95, and Peirce '93.

Practice lasted about half an hour, the first eleven having the ball half the time, after that giving it up to the second. The play showed plenty of life, especially on the part of the first eleven's backs, but the second eleven's backs were slow, fumbled badly, and did not get their heads down. Dean was out coaching the quarter backs, white Captain Trafford looked after the other men. Adams and Stewart, who coached the team last year, will again give their advice this year, and Cumnock, who gets back from Europe about the 15th.

Only about 50 men have come out as yet, but more are expected and a thorough canvas of the freshman class will be made with a view of getting at all the available material in the class.

The schedule of games for October has already been arranged, and is as follows: Dartmouth on the 3rd; Exeter, 7th, Amherst, 10th; Tech, 14th; Williams, 17th; Andover, 21st; Bowdoin, 24th; Amherst, 28th. The 31st is still open. All these games except the one with Andover will be played at home.

Today the candidates for the freshman team are to come out at 3, and next week they will be given into the charge of Morse, L. S., who will have complete control over them for the present.