REPORT OF PRESIDENT WARREN OF BOSTON UNIVERSITY.

The tenth annual report of Boston University has been issued. It states that the university senate comprises 108 persons, and the convocation (which consists of those who have received any degree or diploma) over 1200. The students in the academic department at present are 101, of whom 43 are men and 58 women. Of these, 3 are post graduates and 11 special students. In the college of music there are 37 students, 15 being women; in the school of theology, 81; in the school of law, 198; in the school of medicine, 109, of whom 51 are women. President Warren states that the rapid growth of the Law School demands new and enlarged quarters, Japan, Brazil, the District of Columbia and the territory of New Mexico were each represented in the school of all sciences by one student. Of the whole number, thirty-five had received their first degree in arts from this university; from the same source, nine the degree of Master of Arts, fifteen the degree of bachelor of theology and three the degree of bachelor of laws. Thirty-nine came from other colleges of liberal arts. A little more than one-half of the whole number were allowed to pursue their studies in other institutions or elsewhere in absentia. The report of the treasurer shows that the total assets of the university are $1,179,535,99, of which more than three-quarters of a million is real estate above encumbrances. The liabilities are $155,974.64, leaving an excess of assets of $1,023,561.35. The pressing needs of the institution are enumerated as follows: "A sextant, a terrestrial globe, more free scholarships in all departments, a house of aid for young men unable to pay the full expense of rooms and board in the city, a similar house of aid for young women, houses for professors, a new building for the school of law, additional income to cover the existing annual deficit, a small endowment for three or four fellowships, means to advance the salaries of several of the younger professors and instructors to the point of a more reasonable support, means to restore to several of the older officers the salaries assigned them before the severe retrenchments of ten years ago; and, finally-more money."