WHERE IS DARTMOUTH COLLEGE?

Difficulty of access it will be remembered, was one of the chief reasons for the withdrawal of Dartmouth last year from the Intercollegiate Baseball League. A writer in the Manhattan for March thus unpleasantly alludes to this topic of the "remoteness" of Dartmouth.

"And then, too, the question may be asked, more often perhaps than is agreeable to the Alumnus, who fondly believed that its fame was world-wide. "Where is Dartmouth College?" While everybody knows the location of Harvard and Yale, few persons out of the State of New Hampshire can say where Dartmouth is. And even in New Hampshire itself, there are people who would be at a loss to direct the stranger how to reach it. In going from New York or Boston the passenger by the train alights at a shabby little station called Norwich. He is in the State of Vermont. There is, so far, nothing to indicate his proximity to an important seat of learning. The picturesque and forest-clad banks of the Connecticut River are on his right; over a rickety covered bridge he crosses the stream, and then he is in New Hamshire. Less than half a mile farther up a hilly road is Hanover; a store or two, a few conventional wooden dwelling houses and a substantial brick in comprise the village. Then come the college buildings, which are interesting in their way, but by no means beautiful. Their plainness of exterior and interior is indeed depressing."