NOTE AND COMMENT.

The committee appointed by the alumni of Trinity to consider a change in the curriculum has consulted with the faculty and it has been decided that the classics shall be retained. Latin and Greek are to be pursued as heretofore up to the end of the sophomore year, after which 75 per cent. of the studies are to be prescribed, and the student is to be allowed to elect the other 25 per cent. "In this way," says President Smith, "we can continue to offer a liberal education, with any direction towards the end of the course which students may desire to take."

The committee appointed at the annual meeting of the Trinity College Alumni Association last June to solicit from the alumni and friends of the college such aid in the way of money as the instant needs of the college demand, have sent out a circular. This circular states that the total income of the college last year was $31,500 and the expenditures $31,325. These expenditures fall short of those estimated for this year by $5000. The circular states that the sum of $50,000 is required for special purposes, such as $17,000 for a becoming home for the president upon the college grounds, $25,000 for a fund for college commons, $3000, $2000, $1500, respectively, for departments of physics, astronomy and geology, $1000 for class and lecture room equipments, and $500 for the gymnasium.